125 kHz crypto chip

Amal, check this here out: https://www.smartrac-group.com/aestag.html

It’s a 125 kHz glass transponder with AES, and apparently quite a bit of user memory. Very appealing, seeing as though the lower the frequency, the better it works when it’s inside meat.

It’s designed to be embedded in a car key though. Not sure the glass would be bio-compatible. Also, the photos suggest it’s hollow inside the glass. Still, I’m thinking maybe it might be reasonably easy to buy those tags, break the stock glass casing, extract the go-go bits inside, then embed them in a new implant-grade, epoxy-filled glass enclosure.

And then, after having done all that, most likely a custom reader would have to be designed for it - or an extension the Proxmark client, if it doesn’t default to answering as a EM or some other dumb LF chip in the presence of a regular reader.

Still, I’m tempted to order a couple, to see what they’re made of. Have you yourself taken a look at them chips before I crack out the credit card by any chance?

2 Likes

Wonder if this is what was in the Mobil Speedpass.

They have other implants with biosafe glass… maybe a small test batch for my high security pig farm?

1 Like

Honestly, I have not seen much of a difference between 125khz and 13.56mhz performance except the much larger antennas and usually higher energy output designed into 125khz reader gear. There’s a lot of talk in the RFID industry about attenuation and interference from water and metal, but honestly that applies much more to EF emissions than EM fields. Things like UHF backscatter have a huge problem with water / metal / bodies but that’s because of how that tech works, not the frequency really.

In general, it can be easier to push more power at 125khz than 13.56mhz because noise can be a harder problem to solve at 13.56mhz simply because the length of bits are much shorter (faster throughput), but again at ranges like a few mm, performance is so similar for 125khz vs 13.56mhz that it’s hard to imagine there being much of a difference when used with general purpose readers.

My biggest issue is getting reader gear that supports it… outside of the animal tag industry, LF is nearly lawless wasteland of proprietary stuff and defacto “standards” that play by their own rules.

definitely not… i have one of those… it’s a pretty basic chip type… i recently dug it up and send some scan data to iceman… maybe the next pm3 rrg release will support detection and demod of it.

not sure either… would need some analysis at a lab… cytotoxicity testing… spectroscopy of the glass… etc.

hah well, no… not unless you’re going to do regular blood draws, carefully slaughter them, excise the chips and surrounding tissue, and do a battery of tests on said chips and tissue. if not, then it’s kinda pointless because any problems are going to be things like chronic inflammation, mild cellular damage, blood deterioration, trace metal poisoning, potential long term cancer risks, etc… stuff you can’t see with the naked eye, and probably stuff that the pigs won’t even notice… like mild dose radiation people get from wearing radioactive shit and don’t know it… they are being harmed, but the effects are too nuanced and the symptoms too vague to notice or properly attribute cause.

As opposed to HF and UHF, which is a nasty collection of nested proprietary protocols that have been formally documented and given ISO numbers :slight_smile:

That has not been my experience. I have a metric shitton of readers of all shapes and sizes here - including a high-power HF reader - and the ones that consistencly work better at comparable power levels are LF. So much so that it’s the main reason why I decided to have myself cut wide open and implant a flexNExT, which frankly I could do without.

But you’re right, it might be the design of the readers. My little battery-powered locker cam-lock works surprisingly well with small HF glass implants, almost as good as any LF reader I’ve seen out there, and it’s obviously low-power. I guess it’s been designed right.

I’m hoping it defaults to working as a well-known passive transponder and goes into smart mode when it’s being read by a specialized reader. If it did, it’d be at least usable as a dumb chip. The marketing blurb doesn’t say, and I can’t find the technical spec sheet. I thought maybe you had already investigated this particular model, but apparently not.

Maybe I’ll ask Smartrac development samples, and what reading hardware they offer if I don’t want to roll my own. But there’s no point in contacting them if there’s no hope of implanting the thing.

1 Like