Advice for new flex implant

Hey!

What in particular are you curious about? It’s a NTAG216 but in a flex form factor. It’s the same chip in the NFC side of a NExT and in the xNT. Implant positioning tends to depend largely on use case. Don’t install it on areas where there is a lot of flexing (joints etc) or p5. Most folks seem to install it along metacarpals.

Regarding the Apex… The sort of security it offers is the thing you don’t realize you would benefit from until after something goes wrong. Not to mention applets are still being added to the offerings. In that sense, it’s quite different from all the other offerings: it’s not a static “this is all you can ever do with it” thing, it’s still evolving. Even if all you want to do with an NFC tag is have a giant NDEF container (which is what most people seemed to use the DESFire implants for), the Apex offers vastly more storage than anything else we offer.

Hopefully that didn’t come across as a sales pitch, haha. I love my Apex. It is a part of my daily life.

3 Likes

I’m interested in experimenting with flex implants and specially getting better range nfc chips. My problem with the Apex is that I don’t feel quite ready to get into all the applet things and fear to get it bricked or something like that. That’s why flexNT seemed like a good option for now, since it’s simple but has good range, I also liked the small form factor that it has, I was thinking about maybe getting it implanted on the middle finger like on the store page photo but I haven’t found any information on people who have done it, just a welder that had to get it removed because he crushed his finger.

That position, while possible, isn’t recommended due to the complexity. Fingers are sensitive and there is always the risk of complications. I recently visited my installer and he actually brought up that exact install with a flexNT (he mistakenly thought my CoM conversion was a flexNT). I think he said he’s done it twice. Given he’s been at this for at least a decade, it seems like it’s not a very common procedure. That being said, it’s your body. Ultimately that’s a discussion between you and your installer.

Hopefully someone that’s had it done can chime in :crossed_fingers:

This post is very similar to yours.
Have a read

EDIT FlexNT to FlexMN
FlexMN -
The narrow flex is not made anymore, I asked to have one custom made, but Amal refused because the chip itself is not stable/reliable with such a small antenna.
So it’s only available in the FlexDisc, and it is the same size as the FlexMT.
I had one, and the performance of that mother fucker was the best of any implant I have owned. (i didn’t install it because it was going to take up too much hand real-estate)
HOWEVER
I do have installed a FlexNT, and although it’s not my favourite implant (for my purposes) it is 100% my best performing (read range) implant I own, and i reccomend that to anybody wanting an NTAG216 for thing like sharing links, business cards etc.
It is a great implant.
I had mine installed atop my radius bone of the forearm halfway up.
The install was attempted with a custom needle, but needed the edges opened with a scalpel, I would not reccomend this method.
Go scalpel straight away.

here’s a good FlexNT video

You have actually dragged it out of me.
I have been planning a review of my FlexNT for a while now (i think i have a draft) spoiler alert, I talk about it being an under rated implant but it’s actually a sleeping giant

ALL THAT SAID
I’m going to suggest you go down the Apex Flex path.
Heres why

Well, The FlexM1 can operate like one BUT it doesnt play nice with iPhones

But
The APEX can function similar to other NTAG216s with regards to NDEF, i fack you can choose the size you want, and it can be far larger than the 888bytes of the NTAG216.

There are also other functions

This :point_up:

this should not be a concern, it would be more likely with a FlexSecure, but only if you were poking around without knowledge.
The ApexFlex is like the FlexSecure for dummies :wink: (thats why I have an Apex)
Fidesmo is like the App store and you simply download the App you wan’t.

We here on the forum will help you through the setup etc. so you dont need to do it alone.

I would never steer anybody wrong, and I would suggest that the FlexNT or Apex Flex are your best options for what you are wanting.

If you can afford it, get yourself an APEX flex.

Mine too

Haha, You are in a tricky spot now being staff.

Not at all, I didn’t read your post like that at all.
You just sound like anybody else on the forum giving their best advice.

Keep being awesome @tac0s

1 Like

The narrow flexNT is not made anymore? Does that mean the FlexNT doesn’t look like the one on the store photos and it is like a FlexDisc now you say? I didn’t understand that at all, they should change the store page then.

Anyways you convinced me and I’m going to get the Apex Flex, if it is consumer friendly then nice because I’m not ready for no java card developer designed implant (yet).
One thing I liked about the FlexNT that made me want to try it first is the better range you say it has and the narrow form factor, but if it isn’t like that (FlexDisc) then I will get directly into the Apex Flex, which is objectively a top tier implant right now.

How good is the Apex Flex range, can you provide any advice for install position in your experience? If I implant it in the upper or middle section of my forearm is it easy to read through clothes?

Thanks for you reply to both, really helpful!! :grin:

It’s still made.

2 Likes

What was Pilgrimsmaster saying about the FlexNT, is it the same shape or not?

Hmm not sure…I think he typo’d actually. He may have been tall about a flexNExT actually.

This might set off a a few groans from this crowd because the general level of technical expertise is very high here but I am a huge fan of the simple-to-use NTAG technology for users who are not going to get into the higher levels of RFID.
Easily my most used implant is the xNT and imagining it with a more powerful antenna would make it a very desirable implant.

1 Like

So do you recommend trying out the FlexNT first or just make the jump to the Apex Flex? My biggest interest is range, almost more than functionality for now. That’s why maybe I would prefer flexNT for now than the Apex.

Yeah, Apologies for the confusion,
I was meaning the FlexMN ( Magic NTAG) and comparing that to the FlexMT. ( I will edit my post above )
Allow me to clarify.
I had a FlexMT and the performance was AMAZING, But I don’t have first hand experience with the FlexMN, however, it uses the same/very similar antenna as the FlexMT. So a fair assumption is that the performance would be similar between the two.
The FlexMN can emulate a number of NTAGs and Ultralights.
It initially was available as a wedge shape similar to this

and also in the Disc

The wedge is no longer available, because the chip had dogshit performance with such a small antenna, but it is however still avaliable in the FlexMN-DISC.
I do have a Magic NTAG card, and it works fine as an emulator.

A list of NFC chips that can be emulated by the Magic NTAG chip
  • UL_EV1 48 bytes (Mifare Ultralight EV1)
  • UL_EV1 128 bytes (Mifare Ultralight EV1)
  • NTAG 210
  • NTAG 212
  • NTAG 213 (true)
  • NTAG 215 (true)
  • NTAG 216 (true)
  • NTAG I2C 1K
  • NTAG I2C 2K

You can see here, the FlexNT is different again in its form factor

It is an amazing little performer and under-rated in my opinion.

I would however choose the ApexFlex over it and that would be my recomendation to you.

Although I fucked my post up, to answer your question, No the FlexNT is not the same shape as ANY other implant that Dangerous things / VivoKey sell.
It is most similar to a Wedge shaped flex, but different enough that it nees a scalpel to install.

The FlexDiscs will require a scalpel to install
As will the FlexNT
The Apex can be installed using a custom needle

Apex Flex
Screenshot_20240318_063415_Brave

In summary
FlexMT - DISC - :flexmt: AMAZING ( Not Installed )
FlexMN - DISC - :flexmn: Probably amazing (but I dont have first hand experience)
FlexMN - Wedge

- Dog shit performance (So Amal wouldn’t make one for me)
FlexNT - Rectangle - Amazing little performer (my best range Flex I have)
Apex Flex :vivokey_apexflex: - Standard performance ( My most powerful Flex I have )
I what I would reccomend for you

ALTHOUGH

You will get better range, but limited functionality from the FlexNT

Did I manage to unconfuse you from my fuck up???

3 Likes

Much clearer now, thank you!!!

Is it very noticeable?? Can you easily scan the Apex Flex through thin normal clothing or would you recommend on the hand position P4-P5 for it rather than the forearm?

2 Likes

My Apex Flex is in P1 and my FlexNT in in my Forearm.
I live in a temperate area, and 365 days a year I am in shorts and a t-shirt, but If I was to wear a jacket or similar I could read my FlexNT through it.

My Apex Flex,
Stand-by…testing
To make the test fair, I removed my phone cover AND the Hamspiced V1 resonant repeater.

I could read through some “work gloves” easily, But thick snowboarding gloves was a struggle, however still possible.

With the Hamspiced V1 resonant repeater. It was easier.

That depends how you want to use it.
The back of the hand has thinner skin and reading / writing will be easier, it is convenient to read, and if the day ever comes where the Payment ability is enabled on the Apex implants, the hand will be easier to present to a reader than the forearm.

The forearm is still a viable option, but I guess it comes down to how you see yourself using it.

I find it easy to present my phone to either…

At the risk of adding to any confusion I want to point out that the Apex Flex (JavaCard) and the NTAG/MiFare line of chips (FlexNT, FlexM1, flexMT, etc) have very distinct purposes.

The Apex is designed to run installable applets. Most of the current applets revolve around 2FA, crypto wallets, and storing secure information. One of the applets allows the Apex to emulate an NTAG chip which means that scanning the Apex with a phone can do things like bring up a vCard (contact information) or launch a website. However, with the exception of unlocking/staring a Tesla, the Apex has very limited uses with access control systems (building access, locks, badges, etc).

The NTAG/MiFare line of chips are the opposite. You cannot install any applets to them, but they function very well as access control devices. Depending on which type of implant/chip you get, you can enroll it in an existing control system or potentially clone an existing fob/card/badge. You can also use the NTAG chips to store limited amounts of data that can perform some standard actions when read from a phone.

So if you are primaryly interested in storing information on an implant, then the Apex Flex is a great choice. Just keep in mind that you are unlikely to be able to use it as an access control device with legacy systems.

Actually this is not accurate. The NFC sharing application for apex is a fully fledged NFC type 4 application for NDEF data sharing. It’s not emulating the ntag memory structure or features… Just wanted to be absolutely clear about that.

2 Likes

To add a few details here, you cannot emulate/clone card (I’m thinking about the mifare classic series among others here) with a ntag. You can enrol it, but not clone.
The Apex cannot clone credentials (again, thinking about the mifare classic among others).

This distinction might not be important to the OP, but I think it’s an important distinction to make.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification

On the access side I was referencing both the traditional NTAG implants (e.g. flexNext) as well as the 13.56 magic chips like the flexMN and the flexMT. Unless I’m missing something, the flexMN can potentially be used to fully clone and emulate existing NTAG cards, including the UID/serial number. Same with the flexMT, but for MiFare Classic instead of NTAG.

Cloning 13.56 cards is more iffy than cloning LF cards, and enrolling an implant in an existing system is the simplest/best option if available.

1 Like

I don’t think the magic ntag chip used to make the flexMN supported the actual configuration byte features like password and pwd_ack… but i could be wrong? Anyone ever try those features with the magic ntag chips before?

It’s kinda like the desfire emulation mode that looks like a desfire but you can’t actually use the crypto features a real desfire supports.

2 Likes

I have with the Magic DESFire and its exactly like you said.

The MagicNTAG is different, the answer is.

It depends,
So depending on what you are emulating there are different “levels” of emulation.

Easiest is to just read the product write up

3 Likes

ahh interesting …

I’ve only ever tested it once to see if a cloned version of my xNT (NTAG216) could open my door lock (it worked, but 95% sure my lock only looks at a portion of the serial number and doesn’t do any other kind of interrogation of the chip).

2 Likes