Animals/Pets tracking?

People started using AirTags to track people against their will for nefarious reasons and the way Apple decided to fix it has made it practically useless as a theft tracking device. At that point your best hope is they dump it somewhere intact.

I mean it as an extension that I currently put rfid tags in some prints mid print, so that itā€™s completely unknown from outside appearance

I could use the same method to do the same thing with an AirTagā€¦ as a further evolution of the concept

The AirTags arenā€™t completely gutted for tracking purposesā€¦ they just have some anti stalker stuff, which doesnā€™t even work all the time

Whatā€™s the situation regarding the Samsung and Tile trackers?

The biggest issue, and benefit for the apple version is software

On the android versions unless somethings changed, which I doubtā€¦. The Samsung and tile will only work if a passerby has actively installed the corresponding App

So not very many possible receiver devices

Versus apple, the AirTag / findmy software runs in the background on ALL iPhones, assuming they have been updated

Lots of fish in that ocean

2 Likes

How does it work now vs before? I donā€™t have iPhone.

Short version,

If an AirTag that isnā€™t linked to your account, stays within range of your phone for long periods of time,

8hrs to 36hrs something like that

Your iPhone assumes thereā€™s an AirTag planted on (not in lol) you, and letā€™s you know thereā€™s an AirTag following you and gives you options to find it, possibly disable it

2 Likes