I don’t have an implant yet but intend on ordering an xEM soon. That said, I have been looking at all of the solutions for interfacing with it. I mostly want to use it to start my motorcycles and open garage doors, nothing too crazy, I just don’t want keys or remotes.
I ordered the V1 xEM AC and as most know, they are quite antiquated, very mysterious and lack some commonly desired functionality. I have now seen the new V2 AC and it seems like an improvement but still doesn’t seem like what the people truly want.
Over this past weekend I decided that I should actually use my degree and start looking into building the solution that would fit many peoples needs including my own. I would love to start a community driven open source project and would love to hear what people want in an access control device and also what is also already in progress.
My idea is to use an EM4095 front end chip and something like an atmega328 or attiny84 for running the access control code. Leaning towards the 328 because can you really have too much I/O? Maybe even an ESP32 for wifi capability, For me a cylindrical antenna coil is a must and due to the fact that nobody makes them, they will have to be hand made at first.
Things I would personally like to implement in this project are:
- 12v power
- mode selection with rotary dip switch
- Immobilizer mode: tap once to energize relay, tap once more to de-energize
- immobilizer mode with button disable: tap once to energize relay, press button to de-energize relay
- starter switch mode: relay energized when tag is present
- door mode: tap for pulse with configurable pulse time with rotary dip switch, door release button
- audible feedback
- jumper for configuring master tags
- jumper for selecting between EM and HID (for all of the people I envy that have a simple work access control)(for this I would need some help figuring out the modulation protocol)
That’s honestly what I can come up with on my own. Any Suggestions?