Bank payment ring

It may not be an implant, but my “bankwest halo ring” arrived today.
Not bad for a $40Aud ring. Made of what seems like porcelain? Definitely not plastic but I can’t say it’s metal.

Got a bankwest account just to get this, I’m not disappointed. It will have to do till one day (hopefully) we can get payments to be a non expiring implant.

Anyway! Thought y’all would like to see it.

7 Likes

yeah basically… it’s ceramic to allow the magnetic field through easily.

2 Likes

thankyou!

2 Likes

So if you were to, oh say, whack it with a hammer, would it bend, break, or shatter?

1 Like

shatter, presumably

1 Like

Whats the expiry period for you new ring?

Anyway! You thought correctly my friend.

Indeed they do. Crack-splinter-shatter.

The hardest thing about the removal process is, trying to locate the the actual chip before you start the extraction process.
A very bright torch :flashlight: is good to shillouette it.
Pretty much write off getting the antenna out intact.

3 Likes

It is connected to the card, so 3 years/Whenever the card expires if you didn’t connect it to a fresh card.

Yea would be a bit silly, also seeing as you get a card for free that you could take the anntena out of, taking out of something like a ring is redundant.

1 Like

I was thinking more durability in it’s intended purpose. I work with hammers. Sometimes they hit places I would rather that they not.

2 Likes

“do not tap ring with sharp object, as it may cause damage”
-Back of the Instruction pamphlet

Yea /: idk. it sounds more for the “modern man on the go” instead of a “working man” sort of deal, I will definitely not be wearing it to work, but I already keep a debit card in my id lanyard for easy payments while on the job.

1 Like

Dont get me wrong, they are still pretty sturdy, I would say they would take a decent knock from a hammer, My main implement of destruction was a vice so that I could control the destruction.
It took a substantial amount of pressure before the first crack emerged

1 Like

Learn anything interesting from that?

1 Like

yes, that i could successfully extract a chip from a porcelain ring.
It was a T5577 that I was going to mess with and maybe get amal to do a custom job ( This was long before the Flex EMs were a thing )
I broke the antenna though, I could still read it through most of the extraction, breakage happened right toward the end.

I’m pretty sure I binned it, but I can have a look for it if you want to look at a mess of copper wire, chip and porcelain

I’ll pass, but thanks.

I’m a curious person, and taking things apart teaches unique lessons.

My partner has one of these.

It’s a good starter, she talks about my payment one when people ask.

1 Like

I think wearables do a great job of bridging the gap between carried objects and implantables.

My Mum loves all the rfid locks and using them with a wristband (shes not ready for a chip just yet) but it does show how convenient it is not having to fumble with objects.

1 Like

The only thing holding me back from a card conversion implant is Implantation and removal cost. I don’t mind having to get a new one every three years, but putting things in and then taking them out seems a bit too overzealous for me, mind you ill still be using the money for more implants XD just some that will last me longer

1 Like

To be honest. It is more of a thing I am doing just to say I did it. As far as I am aware, I will be one of the first in America with a payment implant.

I did it as a marketing expense, which means I can claim it on tax. And it depreciates in 3 years time.

1 Like

Wait what? A marketing expense? Damn, that’d be nice!