Can KBR1 read a writeable section?

To answer your original question (which I didn’t), I think there are lots of people who would like a keyboard wedge that can output predefined password strings. I can’t count the number of people here who ask the same question and are told to change their Windows password using the keyboard wedge’s output. Then when they say it’s not an option for them, they are told to install Rohos. And if that’s not an option either, then… bad luck.

If you come up with a box that does that, you could sell quite a few of them. Possibly not enough to buy that yacht you always dreamed of, but I bet that’s a product you could flog easily.

And if you were to create something like that, if I was you, I’d make it a translation box - with the input reader being configurable as a HID, PCSC or ACM, so that people can choose what reader they want to use: the user would plug their reader of choice to the input USB, select a “security” scheme (UID or reading a memory location if possible) and the box would do the translation and output anything as a keyboard. And in the local keyboard layout too.

Hell, I don’t need one and I’d buy one for sure :slight_smile:

If I can get the initial concept working I am more than willing to open the whole thing up. If DT or anyone else want to make them, they can. I have enough play things on my plate at the moment.

Groovy.

Well, I am halfway there at the moment. I have an adafruit trinket m0 ($8.95 but much better USB support than the digispark) reading a password out of a random location on a mifare 1k. (A bit of tweaking and it should work on a lot more chips)

It uses an rc522 board (about $5) to read the chip. It is actually looking through the data for a header and then reading until it finds a specific termination character.

Next step will be to encode a string as a sequence of keyboard scan codes and have the trinket spew them back out as though it was a keyboard.

Then I will extend the code to more card types, and finally document and release it.

If anyone feels that they could take the schematics for the two boards and combine them into one board (it should be possible to drop some components at the same time, the dotstar LED for instance) then I think that this could be manufactured fairly easily.

1 Like

I’d buy it! Great work!

I eagerly await the finish product

Unfortunately for you, I won’t be selling them. But I have started a project thread where I will post full details, including source code.

3 Likes