Can't destroy applets with Fidesmo

I’ve tested several Cybernetic devices after the Fidesmo update and they are removing applets just fine. @edent if you’d like to hop on a call to sort this out I will DM you a calendar link you can book a time to chat?

1 Like

Sounds good. I’m free all of Friday. I’ll post logs etc this evening.

From Fidesmo

It really looks like the device has been locked: when trying to authenticate, it rejects out attempts with the 69FF error (which usually means too many failed authentication attempts). Before that the same command was ending up with “Conditions of use not satisfied” (the 6985 error). The thing is, the device was locked somewhere outside of our platform, so I can’t say exactly why this happened. Roughly the last time it was working was on Jan 31, after that the next connection to our backend was on Feb 14 and the device had been already locked.

So, it appears that using GPP with the default master key one too many times has indeed locked the chip.

Interesting that the P71 still allows access to applets even though it was locked via the Security Manager. Thanks for the report.

I’ve asked fidesmo if they have some other lock mode for their rommask that is different from the factory p71.

Final update from Fidesmo…

This state indeed allows to perform some simple operations that do not involve connecting to the ISD, but 69FF error indicates that it’s not just a card lock, but a P71’s authentication retry counter threshold kicked in. And P71 documentation doesn’t provide any solutions for recovering from that state, unfortunately. So likely the ISD access on that device is locked forever.

So now the big question is… how many times did @edent try using GPP… was it 3 times… or closer to 8 times?