Choosing The Right Chip

Hi there,

So I’m very new to this bio-technology, but it seems very interesting and I would love to get started. I’ve been reading through the forums and have seen some of the really cool projects that others have been working on. Right now I’m trying to decide which is the best chip to get started with.

It seems as though the xNT is more compatible with most things. I understand that it has NFC and RFID attributes so I’m assuming it would work with most small projects like smart home, door locks, arduino, ect. The xEM seems very interesting as well, with it’s ability to clone HID cards and stuff which I think would become very useful. As of right now however it doesn’t seem like that is being used a whole lot. Maybe for access cards for work or school but other than that it doesn’t seem like there’s a whole lot more you can do with that feature. I would love to see ways that this could be implemented for payment methods or hotel room access and stuff like that. So is it really worth getting the xEM right now? or does the xNT have more useful features?

I have also read a little about the xM1+ chip but don’t know a whole lot about it. Does this one have more features? Would I be better off waiting for this one to be in stock again?

So the reason I started this topic is because I want to make sure I have all my facts straight and get some opinions on which chip would be best for me.

Thanks for the help! I really love the community on this forum. Full of brilliant minds with great ideas for projects. Keep up the good work! :slight_smile:

Basically, the xEM is an 125KHz tag that can be used with EM mode and HID mode for things like unlocking doors. The xM1 is an older chip that functions similarly to the xEM.

The xNT is a 13.56 MHz tag that’s NFC compatible and can be read by most (Android) smartphones. It holds 888 bytes of information, which can be links, contact info, etc.