Community-driven Biohacking Map

Maybe a couple or few people from the mod team here and or discord, or people knowledgeable about how the map works behind the scenes can form a Map Admin Team or something to do standard approvals, and anything above that is DMed to Amal?
I’m down to be on the map as an enthusiast, but definitely if I can put the pin in the middle of my city, or have a regional pin or something.

2 Likes

Quick update. I got sick (no covid) and am having to put in extra hours at the day job so not much progress.

After talking to @amal, I added a community mode. All enthusiasts will appear on the map after signup. All installers (as well as producers and suppliers) will require approval from amal or a moderator.

Front End Todo:

• Marker Clustering
  • Fine Tune UI (there are some glitches. Just noticed a pagination issue)
  • Refine Reviews (better targeted)
  • Shareable Links
  • Events
  • Management Portal

I’m going to be starting work on the back end so there probably won’t be another update for a bit. I hope that the next one will be a usable app for you all rather than another video.

Edit: Oh, I forgot I changed somethings here, too:

7 Likes

Have you managed to make any progress on this since your “not covid” sickness?

The offer still stands re-assistance

1 Like

http://biohackingmap.com/

Not as much as I would like. If someone wants to get the back end sorted, that’d be cool. Being short staffed at the day job where people keep taking vacation is awesome…

I uploaded the front end (which was completely rewritten) and some junk data I generated for testing. Last thing to do for this part is the signup page. The management portion will be separate.

Take a look and see what works.

3 Likes

I get a totally blank page. Might just be me.

Firefox on Win7. (Don’t judge me.)

Hah! Love it. Give me a bit…

If it helps to have more data it is also blank in chrome on Android

Working now.
And looking GOOOD!!!

5 Likes

Do you have any suggestions?

Doesn’t this login requirement take care of that?

(obviously also with VK sign in as an option)
:logo_vk::logo_vk_word:

Maybe the “unlisted” ones could be hidden a little deeper in the database that only a trusted mod group could access :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Doesn’t this login requirement take care of that?

Yup. I just thought I would comment on the idea of signing up people other than yourself as it had been brought up a few times.

Maybe the “unlisted” ones could be hidden a little deeper in the database that only a trusted mod group could access :man_shrugging:

Sounds perfect.

1 Like

Ok. The site is up and live. Feel free to signup–there might be up to a 24 hr turnaround to receive your login link as I’m in the process of getting the email automation approved. Convincing folks you’re not a spammer is joyous…

Find something (not email related) that is broken or doesn’t work how you’d like–let me know. Have a better idea for something? Let me know. Think the layout needs work? Send me a sketch. Want to draft a logo or background? Sweet, shoot it my way. I am definitely not a graphic designer.

Oh, and no, I haven’t setup OIDC for VK yet. Hopefully soon. Ish.

Edit: I should mention that to appear on the map you do have to login after creating an account–there will be a link emailed to you. And then login again within 15-months of your last visit to stay visible. Keeps things current.

2 Likes

Looks nice.

Is it for US only?

1 Like

Nope. Global.

When I try to encode an address for a piercer, I cannot set another country than the United States.

1 Like

Try it now.

Looks nice! And like you put a lot of work into it :star_struck:
But Europe looks pretty sad still… we’ve got so many good installers :smile:

2 Likes

I guess they have to have to register themselves on the website.
I did it for my preferred implant installer in Belgium :slight_smile:

We’ll file “requiring approval” and “account keep-alive” under 'features no one asked for." I removed them. Everyone shows up by default as long as they have a service and contact method. Want to add installers? Go ahead. Sorry for letting my thoughts on the matter get in the way. There’s already one other person moderating–someone far more involved and established in the community than myself.

The only feature we’re missing at this point, that I’m aware of, is pricing information. I had intended to allow installers to just list their prices and then show how it compares to nearby (~100mi/160km) installers buuut without installers adding pricing that’s not gonna work. I will work on refactoring to allow pricing as a part of the review process… Unless there is a better idea.

2 Likes

Pricing too easily gets out of date and probably differs with a multitude of variables. I’d say let people contact the installer to get prices instead of having a map filled with old data. The main thing is to use the map for is to find out if an installer exists in your area or where the closest one is. All the other information can be either found elsewhere or come from the installer directly.

I think it is a bad idea to show 2.5 stars by default when the user has no reviews. I initially thought the installer I was looking at only had 2.5 stars.

/opinion

3 Likes