Dangerous KBR1 goes haywire occasionally and spits out some random string of numbers&letters repeatedly till I unplug

This just happened a second ago and its happened numerous times in the past.

All of a sudden my reader will just start spamming some random string.

Any ideas would be appreciated. This is quite embarrassing when in the middle of a meeting my reader starts spamming the chat of my meeting with this. I left the timestamps in so you can see just how many it spits out and how quickly.

This is generally what happens until I yank the plug. Im not 100 percent positive if its the same string every time. Any ideas yall? Anyone else get the same thing?

7a012208
8:37
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208
7a012208

Have you tried it:
In different ports?
In a different computer?

Where is your reader located? Is it possible it’s picking up your phone/something else? If I put my phone on the reader it will spit out strings that are the same length as your output and if it’s in the right spot it’ll just keep spitting out the same thing over and over.

The output will change (not sure why, maybe someone else has the answer to that) but it’s always the same length.

That looks like a uid- looks likesomething is within its range that it keeps reading…

Phone, Wallet, Access card, Alien probe :alien: :space_invader:

1 Like

Havnt tried different port or computer because its so sporadic (once every other week or so). Can try different port.

I checked my phone, wallet, headphones, anything I can think of on my desk that might have triggered it and none produce the same uid.

My phone does produce many seemingly random UID’s but after about 10 minutes of scanning I havnt been able to produce that uid. And I believe the uid that gets printed during these events is the same every time. So I find the phone unlikely.

Honestly when this occurs I’m almost positive nothing is reading on the reader because it’s mounted on the underside of my desk and has a very hard time picking up tags through my desk that are on top of the desk. So I’d be very surprised if it was that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I see you have a NExT implant, but the UID doesn’t match a NTAG216 (7 byte)

7a012208
To me I would be guessing a Mifare Classic 1K.(4 byte), which would still work on a KBR1

I was going to say that if it was a random uid each time this occurs, its probably a phone.
I have my reader velcro mounted under my desk but the desk is thin enough that if my phone (or other rfid cards sometimes) is back down on the desk and gets knocked right over the reader, it just starts spitting out uids.

If it is the phone it probably wont give you the same uid. And considering that the phone is actively spewing out the uid, its mutch more likely to make it through the desk when a regular tag wont.

Edit, nevermind, i missed that its the same uid everytime

As mentioned. I tested the phone for quite a while and the many uids spit out by the phone over that time doesn’t match the uid in the original example. And since its the same each time it goes haywire it is unlikely to be my phone. Read the above posts where I provide even more proof to the phone theory not holding water.

And yes my tags do not produce the same uid as the example

Thx!

aliens

jk… might be busted… if we can’t confirm its something like an active phone nearby (the range on actively boosted phone nfc is huge) then we will replace.

1 Like

Sorry didnt mean to come off like a jerk :stuck_out_tongue:
Yea I mean I just tested basically ever card ive ever had on my desk and none of them match the ID that was spit out.

It hasnt happened in a few days but honestly its usually a week or two between incidents at the least.

Im still puzzled. Does anyone know how android does its UID rotation, is it a finite list or is it all pseudorandom?

it depends a lot on the reader chip inside the phone… HCE on some phones produces a static UID while others it appears random.

Yeah, that’s why I suggested the phone. My Galaxy S21 will spit out the same UID over and over if it stays in range of the reader, but generates a random one each time it’s removed and re-tapped.