Dangerous Things Desfire NFC-Implant flexDF2

On November 14th, 2019 I had the Flex implanted in the edge of my right hand.
I only had one link. As a test, interested parties were able to show the advantage of this implant by quickly finding it.
Suddenly, the chip cannot be found overnight. No reader, no cell phone (Iphone, Samsung etc.) finds it. There was no blunt violence. Has anyone experienced this before?
@amal what can i do?

I work try to get an x-ray to check if it did move by any chance. If you can’t feel it of course.

I have expressed myself somewhat unclear. it’s a flex … I can hike a flex. I feel this flex and I also know where the antenna and receiver are. but it’s downright dead. You can’t read it and you can’t describe it.

@mdanger I’ve talked with Thomas via Facebook messenger and he has a flexDF2 that has failed. I want to ship him a replacement so he can schedule a swap-out. He will ship the failed unit back to us for analysis.

2 Likes

Should I be able to read the flexDF2 with my Samsung note 10 plus?

Yes this should be no problem. Are you having problems reading it? Do you have a thick case on your Samsung?

Sorry, I just saw Amals reply, I meant to answer this for you yesterday,
As Amal said, the case can cause issues.
A couple of other things to check,
Phone unlocked
NFC turned on
Find the “sweet spot” with xFD and / or diagnostic card (move very slowly, my S9 NFC reads in pulses, 5 low power “reads” then 1 high power “reads”)
Check out the Phone NFC Wiki for some tips and tricks including 3 posts about the Note 10 plus / + and with Otterbox.

Remember, you are trying to make a X or + with you implant antenna crossing the antenna rather than inline with it

1 Like

For the flex series you do want the antenna in line with the implant, not across it. So for example if your NFC is along the top edge of your phone, you would want the long axis of the implant in line with the top edge of your phone.

For NFC antennas in the center of the back of the phone it doesn’t matter so much because they’re square

1 Like

Right you are good sir, thanks for the catch :+1:

Thank you all for your replies! I appreciate you all very much!
For some reason the flexDF2 would not read with my Samsung Galaxy Note 10 plus while it was in the plastic bag and solution.
I completed the installation, which went perfectly, about two days ago. From the day of installation I was able to read it no problem with my Samsung…but yet when it was still in the plastic bag and solution I could not get my Samsung to read it…strange. Anyway, thank you all very much for your responses!

1 Like

You couldn’t get a read but installed the flex anyways…

3 Likes

hah actually… this might be because the implant was too close to your Samsung… magnetic fields are funny things, and it’s possible for the “sweet spot” to exist in a space that is higher in the z-axis than expected… so the tissue and swelling may well have put the tag just into the goldielocks zone for this particular implant.