Device for general purpose augmentation - "ACUMA"? (GPT-3 invented the name)

But still using/supporting those controls? So like in a normal Linux app you might, say, use a window like a touchscreen if it isn’t specifically made for the device. But in something made for it you’d have the custom controls

Sure!
Meta already does that.
I’ve seen a Weyland build that would allow Linux Desktop environments running through an Oculus Rift (was a while ago)

Sure!

Just don’t get things mixed up:

You are not “inventing a new type of computer” here.

You are inventing “a new input method”, which ultimately will be seen by the computer like another type of Keyboard.

And then you’re hooking that “new type of keyboard” to a computer, and plugging a VR headset to it instead of a monitor.

It doesn’t matter how small you make the computer, or that it’s stitched to a suit… it’s still a computer with a “suit for keyboard” and a “VR for monitor”.

This approach allows you to divide it into smaller parts and make use of a lot which already exists out there

I suppose yes. What would you think is the cheapest way to do that?

Like I’d suggest the most basic thing is it should have enough power to run VRChat. If it can run that it can probably handle all the other stuff I’d want to do.

You need at least a basic form of gesture input first. Then if that’s working, you can grow.
So if you like Lucid, build one single hand of that.
If that link you posted about it is accurate, should cost you 11$.

Then you need some VR output.
Google’s Cardboard VR should cost you one piece of paper you print it on, and then you can repurpose any old cardboard box to build a frame for the cellphone to sit inside.

with that you should be able to test a “game” you can build on Unity.

It’s not really a game. all you need at first is a scene where you can throw in a HUD to see a number/log/whatever for each gesture you’re doing with the glove.
Then you can turn on the phone’s camera and display it inside the game… or hook it to VR chat, etc…

From then on, it’s just about coding your interface.

so, TLDR version:

• 1 hand of lucid for 11$
  • 1 cardboard VR to wrap your phone in (free? 10 cents?)
  • free license for Unity 3D.

total to start up should be 11$