DISCUSSION - What is a cyborg? šŸ¤–

This whole thing sounds like the Ship of Theseus but instead of asking at what point is it a different boat, itā€™s at what point are you a cyborg.

Sorta, but in SOT itā€™s one for one replacementā€¦ weā€™re talking about upgrades baby! Take down those sailsā€¦ install the fission reactorā€¦ etc.

5 Likes

I just imagine a fission reactor where the sail was and no other modifications. Like nothing to take the power.

Hot.

2 Likes

4 Likes

A cyborg is a CYBernetically enhanced ORGanism.The key to knowing the cyborg is to realize that it is two systems, one biological (wetware) and one technological (hardware), functioning together via a cybernetic feedback loop to make the entire bodywork.

1 Like

But then you get into the rabbit hole regarding devices that are meant to restore function, instead of adding functionality, like pacemakers. And determining if those qualify.

1 Like

I think a pacemaker qualifies you as a cyborg.

3 Likes

That is the most hardcore thing Iā€™ve read on this forum so far.

2 Likes

Very much so. And by the following token:

RFID implants donā€™t make you a cyborg. Although the wetware part does adapt to using them to some extent, the implants themselves just sit there and donā€™t interact with you in any way. As I always say, one wears them like one wears jewelry, nothing more.

While I agree an RFID implant doesnā€™t conform to the definition above, I donā€™t agree that they are the same as jewelryā€¦ and thatā€™s because of the psychological factors involved. I believe most people, myself included, feel fundamentally different about having an implant vs wearing jewelry. It feels different because it just is differentā€¦ different expectations, different absence of mind when not using them, and different sense of innate capability when using them. Logically itā€™s not much different from wearing something on your body, but psychologically it is significantly different when ā€œwearingā€ something in your body.

2 Likes

I kinda agree to that (because I feel like my bodmods are very much a part of me as well), but this sometimes applies to jewelry, too. For some people, a wedding ring creates a similar feeling, I feel naked when not wearing my collar, others maybe have a necklace from their grandma they never take off.
It might have to do with how ā€œused toā€ the jewelry you are? Dunno :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Itā€™s definitely easier to identify what a cyborg isnā€™t, then what it is. My cats microchiped but she isnā€™t a cyborg cat. (That wound be awesome though). The only jewelry she wears is a collar with her chips UID etched on it. If you canā€™t take it off is it really jewelry?
Edit- I google image searched for cyborg cat, I wasnā€™t disappointed.

1 Like

Yeah fair enough. Maybe not like jewelry exactly. But my point was, as much as they redefine parts of my life by changing my routines - and hell, from a psychological standpoint, when one of them fails, I even feel less whole as a person - realistically RFID implants are very intimate convenience devices. Kind of like wearables on the other side of the skin. But certainly not a new human ability like magnets are, or cases of intimate man-machine symbiosis like pacemakers.

I guess to each his own. But thatā€™s how I feel about them. I have fun with my RFID implants and they sure make my life easier, but I still long for that elusive implant that would truly become part of me, and those ainā€™t it. A magnet would go a long way towards exploring that side of things that Iā€™m after, but as you know, those arenā€™t for me for practical reasons.

1 Like

Same thing with my wristband.

And that is a line of thought that makes me thinkā€¦ ā€œCyborge-ismā€ starts when you replace something with a Cybernetic version.

So, imho, a peacemaker would not make me a cyborg. (Sorry @amal XD)
But having a mechanical heart. or lung. or eye or armā€¦ those should be enough to make me cross the line from human to cyborg.

Would go even further:
Even if I implant a Neuralink I wonā€™t still feel a cyborg, unless I can start effortlessly controlling stuff, either as a tail/armā€¦ or some drones which would feel like an extension of myself. (i.e. just using a neurolink to fly a drone for fun would still not make me feel a cyborg)

Also, on the sidelineā€¦
Itā€™s common for new people seeing me open doors/paying with my hands to say: ā€œoh, you are a cyborg!ā€, and I must confess that makes me cringe insideā€¦ :grimacing:

I think it all depends on the definition you choose - if you think about it in the cyberpunk way, any technical addition to the body might be enough, be it an implant, a pacemaker, whatever. Or you can take the terminator, for example - it was a machine covered by human skin, so part cybernetic being, part organic being.
The word cybernetic itself comes from the greek word for steersman or navigator, and the classical example for a cybernetic system would be the thermostat - it compares two values (the temperature set and the current temperature) and reacts to that by itself. So a pacemaker would qualify as a cybernetic system, I guess (at least the more improved ones who can adapt frequencies to physical activity and such). A chip to open your door wonā€™t, since itā€™s not active at all - so I guess someone with a pacemaker is more of a cyborg than us :wink:

But the general perception is massively influenced by films and books, so if you ask someone on the street what a cyborg is, most people will either think of the terminator, Ghost in the Shell, Bladerunner or general cyberpunk-y stuff.

I admit, my mind immediately jumps to Cyborg from DC comics.

Not just jewelryā€¦ I wear toe socks and Vibram Five fingers shoes a lot. So much so that when I donā€™t it feels to me as though there is something stuck between my toes, because my socks/shoes are not stuck between my toes.

Are Darlekā€™s cyborgs?

1 Like

Probably yeah. Gross cyborgs, but yeah.

4 Likes