First chip help

That sounds like your best option and gives you the widest use possibilities. I have two of the Next and love them but wish I had held out and gotten a Magic instead of one of them.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, that was the conformation I needed to get a magic lol.

1 Like

This is a model first post for noobs everywhere. You did your homework. Nice job and Welcome!

4 Likes

I appreciate it! This forum is an absolute gold mine of information, made this whole thing a lot less intimidating.

3 Likes

Yes, your research is good and the xMagic sounds like a good fit for your use. However, learning to use a Proxmark is not a walk in the park if you have no programming experience. How much of a noob are you? I came to this from a part artistic, part engineering background with no coding experience and the Proxmark has been a huge obstacle.
The Flipper Zero is a good halfway house if it fits your end use.

2 Likes

That is not the wrong decision

I love my xMagic, but I also have a NExT, I would say the only thing for you to consider, is if you wanted to share “Business cards”, url links etc, The NExT has an NTAG216 and plays nicer with iPhones, But if that is not a concern for you, 100% go for the xMagic.

Or BOTH are a good option
in P0 of you left and right hand, and you will be in a really good cyborg space.

Don’t forget to update your post and share your journey with us, we are all excited to welcome new cyborgs, it reminds us of our firsts.

The decision
The purchase
The delivery
The install
The setup
The projects

Also come back if you need a hand with setup etc. incl. the Proxmark

This might be of help

https://forum.dangerousthings.com/t/handy-dandy-tips-and-tricks/13041/14?u=pilgrimsmaster

2 Likes

I have very little coding experience. Like I made a rock paper scissors game in visual basic a decade ago.

1 Like

Hes right regarding it (PM3) not being particularly user friendly. The UI is bland BUT it is also a powerful tool.

The set up is “easy” if you do it step by step.
The using of it is OK
Its kind of a paint by numbers until you learn the basics, once you have the basics, youll be able to do most things.

The flipper zero is an amazing device, and will do probably everything you want, it’s pretty intuitive BUT there is some functionality the PM3 has that the Flipper doesn’t.

Personally I use my Flipper far more than my PM3, but I’m glad to have my PM3 to fall back on if i need it.

Here’s a quick test: have a flick through this thread from where you see the image of the Proxmark onwards. If you think I sound like an idiot and the advice I’m being given makes perfect sense to you, you are ready for the Proxmark. If not, know that you will be facing quite a steep learning curve.

2 Likes

On the plus side, the thread also highlights something that I think you have already noticed: the community spirit here is very high so help is always pretty close at hand.

I can make sense of what going on in that thread for sure.

I’ve spent a good chunk of time rooting my android devices, flashing custom roms, custom bootloaders and what not. Also occasionally start tinkering with stuff that requires me to get into the Linux terminal or the Windows command prompt, so using a CLI isn’t a big deal to me.

2 Likes

I thought about that, and while that would be cool I’d never use it for anything more than showing off lol.

2 Likes

So I’ve come up with a couple questions if someone could help me out, specifically with home door locks.

Are they just transferring the UID from the chip to lock? The magic chip listing says "the 4 byte ID is rewritable ", so its just using 4 characters?

But i noticed that on the compatibility sheet there are some locks that say they work with the NTAG style chips but the magic chip wont work with them, which im assuming means theyre using more than 4 bytes of data, since NTAG seems to hold a lot more data, or is it just the use of crypto1 on the mifare thats prevents the 2 from communicating?

So im guessing there isnt really a standard, and some locks are using the mifare, while others are using some form of ntag?

So ill need to figure out the specific chip in a lock and make sure itll talk to the implant?

Depends on the specific lock but some devices won’t work with mifare transponders because those are not standard. iPhones won’t work with these chips, for example.

There are a few standards but it’s a bit of a mess… Hence why some people have several implants. Some locks will accept a wide variety of chips, others only one type.

Yes, and to make things more complicated, different types of locks are used in different counties.

For example, I was thinking of getting a Schlage S-480 but then I had to move… That lock would’ve worked at my old place but not where I am now. Do note that said model is still untested with glassies.

Alternatively, get a NExT and an xMagic, one for each hand. And a proxmark to clone things to your hands… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

That combo would let me clone anything but NTAG right? Since the UID isnt rewritable on the HF side of the NExT? In that instance the lock would have to allow me to add the UID from HF NExT?

1 Like

Yes. That’s correct.

I’m kinda leaning towards the NExT at this point. If locks just read the UID then im guessing it can be used in that manner AND still have a URL or something set up on it.

It seems like the NExT would have more general compatability, but the Mifare in the xMagic is starting to feel like it fits a more specific use case.

Is there an NTAG with rewrittable UID?

Well Yes But Actually No No GIF - Well Yes But Actually No ...

There is, and even an implant.
The problem is the chip which is not particularly stable / reliable
FlexMN

Magic NTAG is what you are looking for

KSEC has them in the magic card pack

Here’s the card on it’s own

3 Likes

I don’t believe so. (Edit: See above post by Pilgrim. Such chips are available.)

Also it depends on what sort of lock you want to connect. My experience (which seems borne out by the compatibility table) is glassy implants such as the NExT have limited read range on stand alone locks. This is most likely due to those locks being battery powered, and accordingly the field they generate is not particularly strong.

An alternative though is to use a controller with a powered reader. The controller can then release a magnetic lock on the door, or a door frame mounted release on the bore hole. Depending on the control unit being used, they will often enroll both the NExT and the MagicX1.

I have a set up on my garage roller door, with a HF reader mounted externally, which is powered by a 12v circuit and connected to a controller I brought on Aliexpress, which then triggers the garage door motor when a valid chip is presented. The controller works on both my NExT (HF side) and on the glassy mifare. I just added both UIDs to the controller.

2 Likes

I stand corrected. Sorry for the wrong advice re re-writable UID.