First Implant: NExT VS FlexEM

I’ve been wanting to upgrade myself for a while, but since last time I checked in there have been so many advancements that I can’t make up my mind! I’m holding out on Vivokey until the Apex Flex model goes public, so I’m looking for a first step to take that will compliment that.

Which brings me to my question, would the NExT or the FlexEM be a better first step? I understand that the NExT includes RFID, and the FlexEM is NFC only but has much better range. Am I missing anything else?

I believe the Vivokey Apex Flex does NFC but not RFID, so part of me thinks the NExT compliments it better. On the other hand, I can’t think of many uses for RFID and the capabilities of the FlexEM seems more future proof.

I want to put the Vivokey in the top of my left wrist, in which case I would probably put the NExT in-between my left thumb and pointer. But I don’t think the FlexEM can go there, so where should I put the FlexEM? Will the FlexEM be totally redundant once I install the Vivokey?

Am I overthinking this? Somebody please set me straight!

I shall try

Just to clarify for yourself and others, as it is a self-perpetuating misnomer on here. It’s easy to get confused and people will know what you mean when you say it, BUT better to “nip it in the bud”
RFID is any Radio-frequency Identification system regardless of the actual frequency.
So
Low Frequency ( LF ) 125 kHz eg. xEM uses RFID to communicate
AND
High Frequency ( HF ) 13.56 MHz eg. xNT uses RFID to communicate

an asset tracking system using 900MHz stickers is also using RFID to communicate

A few things wrong with that… Syand By

The NExT uses BOTH
LF 125kHz
HF 13.56 MHz ( NFC is a protocol that uses 13.56MHz )

What do you want to use your implants for?
Then we can give you more information to decide…

1 Like

Thanks for your input! I think that’s what I was trying to say. The LF is RFID and the HF is NFC so the NExt is compatible with both compared to the FlexEM which is only HF/NFC. Is that correct? Any other big differences? Thanks!

Not quite, I just added this to my post above

Just to clarify for yourself and others, as it is a self-perpetuating misnomer on here. It’s easy to get confused and people will know what you mean when you say it, BUT better to “nip it in the bud”
RFID is any Radio-frequency Identification system regardless of the actual frequency.
So
Low Frequency ( LF ) 125 kHz eg. xEM uses RFID to communicate
AND
High Frequency ( HF ) 13.56 MHz eg. xNT uses RFID to communicate

an asset tracking system using 900MHz stickers is also using RFID to communicate

FlexEM is LF - 125kHz - therefore NOT HF and cannot communicate with the NFC protocol

2 Likes

I love that way of putting it. Enjoy your upgrades.

The NExT is dual frequency as you have seen, it being an x form factor chip makes the installation process much easier. I would go with a NExT as a first step.

Having said that…
tenor-9

RFID is radio frequency identification and covers many technologies. NFC is one of these technologies and is also commonly referred to as HF or 13.56MHz. The other common RFID technology you will see on here is LF or 125KHz.

I’m going to assume your talking about the flexNT as that’s the HF flex implant.

Not really, it offers longer range but frankly LF RFID will be here for a long time so it’s good to keep that option open.

Anyway I see @Pilgrimsmaster typing so you’ll get lots of information off his post.

Edit:
Wow @Pilgrimsmaster you got 2 messages off before my one.
BraveAcceptableHarpseal-small

1 Like

I concur with @NiamhAstra,
To clarify for you even further
The NExT has 2 chips inside it
( I will keep the tech stuff to minimum, so as not to confuse)

• xNT - 13.56MHz, you can use this on compatible access systems, KBR1 reader etc, plus you can save information on it ( Business cards, URLs, map coordinates etc with your phone (via NFC)
    Here are some apps you can communicate with it
    Tag Writer
    Tag Info you can’t write with this but it will read all the info on the chip xNT)
    NFC Tools
    NFC Tools Pro

• xEM125kHz is VERY common for access system still in use all over the world, this frequency. The actual chip can emulate many different chips eg. EM41xx, EM4200, HID 1326 ProxCard II, HID 1346

The FlexEM can only do what the xEM is capable of from above,
BUT it has better range to the reader
HOWEVER the installation is Not as easy. NExT is preloaded into a syringe, The FlexEM will require a scalpel
I hope this helps you decision making and clarifies thing further for you.

2 Likes

I consider the flexEM to be a ‘special use’ chip. If you know that what you’ll be using it on is LF and compatible with the flexEM, range is a main concern, and you have someone who can do the scalpel procedure (and it’s an acceptable risk to you) then this MIGHT be for you.

If one or more of these doesn’t hit the mark, the NExT is one of the most popular beginner chips. As @Pilgrimsmaster mentioned, it does all that the flexEM does (just with a smaller range, still plenty for most uses) plus has some extra HF perks. It’s easier to install, faster to heal, and for most people it’s more useful.

Happy hacking, enjoy your upgrages!

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your advice! I will order the NExT!

3 Likes