First install was an adventure(misadventure?)

I had a needle phobia for the first 18 years of my life. I had a blood test when i was 2 with a small clinic that didn’t go well. I thought it had just been a nightmare that my little kid brain made up, but when i mentioned it to mum in my late teens she

1. was shocked that i remember it so well
  2. Told me that it actually did happen, the nurse had apparently freaked me out before the test (coz yaknow 2 year olds have no logical thinking) and i was so petrified i kept moving and crying, the nurse had to bring in her boyfriend (dodgy small clinic i think) to hold my legs down, and have my arms strapped to the chair. Mum couldn’t watch ( i don’t blame her) so i was all alone and it really messed me up apparently.

First time i ever needed another blood test i fainted almost as soon as the doctor said “you will need a blood test” and every vaccination i needed up till i was about 17 i cried (I always appoligised so much to the nurses)

But around 18 i was getting blood tests every month and injections every 6 weeks, and i could finally start to accept them, I actually then went on to drop out of school and become a certified Phlebotomist, where i was stabbed multiple times a day for months.

Funny how we can progress with things like that.
I hope the benefits of implants can help you ever so slightly with your issues, But none the less good job with this first one!

3 Likes

I did a self install with a NExT implant without any anesthetic, but I can’t really recommend that route. I got the needle in partially and had to stop to take a breather because the pain was VERY distracting and made me sick to my stomach. I will say that there wasn’t any pain at all after getting the entire tip of the needle under the skin, but if I did a self install again, I’d definitely use the anesthetic.

2 Likes

The way I deal with pain is, I go into “this isn’t me, I’m watching an all-immersive movie of somebody else’s body being worked on” mode in my mind. Takes me a second. And then the pain becomes part of the movie. Even when it gets intense, it hurts alright, but it doesn’t seem to affect me because I decided to be a spectator.

Dunno if that makes sense, but it works great for me.

1 Like

This is such a great thread, thanks @cexshun for sharing your story.

And thanks for the explanation @amal never had it explained like that before, makes me feel better about it :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a similiar situation with needle phobia, except I don’t throw up I just pass out and sometimes Fit.

I’ve collapsed whilst trying to comfort someone having an injection whilst my eyes were shut and even the thought of it gives me elevated heartrate. I’ve tried therapy and other methods but It just seems to get worse each time.

My body just goes full panic mode, chest pounding, light headed, feel very weak, then pass out.

After My last succesful blood test I managed to do, I felt fine, happy it was over, proud that I didn’t… then felt distant, light headed and passed out for a couple minutes and had a fit…

It’s Nothing to do with the pain, just a built in panic mode that I can’t seem to shake…

An implant was something I was going to get for myself after getting over it, but It doesn’t look like that’s happening so I’m trying to ignore the internal phobia and tell myself I have no choice lol

Watching X series installs only slightly phases me, at first it was a bit worrying to watch. But i’d rather watch an implant procedure than a blood test, Small needles freak me out but I don’t have the same natural reaction to the implant needles.

I’m thinking of going in at deep end with a FlexNeXT in my forearm (around same position as @anon3825968 's DoNeXT) and Apex when it’s released, probably in my hand.

I might as well get some high performing flex’s if i’m going through all the trouble with my body panic and scapels don’t set it off.

I assume numbing gel isn’t going to be too helpful for the huge FlexNeXT incision?
general anesthesia would be great, but it’s quite extreme and I have no idea where to start with anyone in UK thats qualified etc?

I could get the installer to wave a needle in my face so I pass out and don’t feel the installs I suppose lol :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I have used this in the past, it takes a lot of brain power. Mind over matter and all.
It works a lot of the time, but i haven’t been able to use it when doing self modification,You have to concentrate too hard on doing the procedure that you can’t think too hard on pretending it’s not happening.

Topical had been recommended quite abit for big implants too. But yea local and topical are the best you will get, i don’t think anyone would be able to get you general without it being a full blown operation

From watching Amal’s video on the topical that DT sells, it looks like that would be more than sufficient. Having an injection was nice (I got a flexNExT on my left forearm/wrist area), so I can definitely vouch for that, but if you’re dealing with a tiny needle phobia, the topical is probably the better way to go lol.

I am still debating on if ill also go for local with topical, as the piercer can’t give me a price on an injection (he has to call a doctor in due to australian laws,ect) so chances are the local could cost as much as the implant itself :confused:
We will see what happens i guess

Yeah I’ve gotta get mine under control since as per Stellas recommendation I won’t be using an anesthetic for my scarification

Again, believe me, it’s not that bad :wink:
Just keep in mind that you’re getting something wonderful and beautiful done to your body, that you’re in the hands of someone you can absolutely trust, and everything will be fine. Not really worse than a tattoo.

Might help if you’re a bit into pain, that even makes it a nice experience :wink: But even if not, you’ll survive it.

I tried that “external view” approach too, at the dentist, but if I’m already in panic, it is absolutely not possible for me… and with bodymods, I wouldn’t do it because I want the “full experience”, so I rather convert pain into pleasure, in a way - works great, too, and you feel really good afterwards :wink:

Idk why, but I trust you :wink:

Stella is definitely a masochist (no kink shaming just making an observation :laughing: because honestly same)

Heh, hard to do, because it’s not like I treat that like a secret…^^

sooooo - why were you thinking about numbing? :smile:

Welllllll I have like a line that once it’s crossed it’s kinda hard to put it in the same category :smile: but I’ve taken your word on it so we’ll see if scarification crosses the line :laughing: