Flexibility and Futureproofing

First of all, you all are pioneers! I want to join the club. For my first implant I’m on a budget and want to start small, but get the most mileage out of it.

Flexibility (in use, not material) and futureproofing are what I’m after. Forgive me if I get anything wrong here but it seems the Vivokey Spark has a ton of potential but not a ton of utility yet. I’m also thinking about the NExT as it has two capabilities, or the DESfire since it seems similar to a regular NFC tag but with more power and flexibility. I should mention I’m studying programming and would love to experiment. But I’m new to programming, RFID technology, and biohacking.

TL;DR
What would you recommend for my first implant? Preferably from the options I mentioned, but I’m open.
Side question, what is the typical shipping time?

Thanks!

My personal opinion, figure out what you want to do with them exactly before you buy anything. There is no perfect implant as they each have their own purpose and compatibility with other systems. The overlap of compatibility between the different implants varies but in general is minimal. There is no guarantee that what you buy today will be compatible with the system you want to use it with tomorrow.

If you just want to get one and don’t have any existing system you are looking to be compatible with, get the NeXT. Since it’s two in one, it’s the best value. Store your contact info on the xNT side and have the xEM side in case you end up in a situation where you can use it for access control.

3 Likes

Thanks, good advice. I’m leaning toward the NExT. I do use an RFID card at work (I think it’s 13.56) but I’m not sure they’ll let me clone my card or if it’ll work. So NFC is more important to me for its use with phones, but I do want to experiment with access control using 125, to set up my car or home with it. So I think you convinced me! Another question though, can an xNT do access control stuff too? Is it just easier on an xEM?

1 Like

I conur with @turbo2ltr, YOU need to decide what YOU want.
Budget conscious and future-proof at the forefront, I would also suggest the next, Those technologies are not going to disappear any time soon. BUT as you are studying programming, the Vivokey would be a great option. Especially if Java applets are your thing. The bonus is you can choose from the chip or the flex (still in beta). if you can wait for the flex it will have the extra added bonus of readability range

1 Like

Oh nice! That’s perfect then. I’m a little squeamish, so I’ll start with NExT since it’s injected, then depending on how I like it give Vivo’s flex variety a shot. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

All I would add is think ahead.
for example I live in New Zealand, we drive on the Left so access chip on my right hand when swiping out of the drivers window.
On a door it doesnt matter so much.

You also asked about Postage.
Example from Seattle to New Zealand it only took 3-4 days.
So very good

3 Likes

Oh thanks I wouldn’t have thought of that. I’m in the US so I think the left hand will work. That will be easy to use with my phone too since I’m right handed. That’s pretty quick shipping. I’m impressed with DT all around so far.

2 Likes

Likewise.
VERY impressed.
Excellent service, super knowledgeable and they share it freely.
The Forum culture, I believe is a direct result of their professionalism and work ethic.
The community IS a community and some great super helpful contributiors.

3 Likes

@Akinetos
as you are squeamish, “Some food for thought.”
Now I stand to be corrected here , however I BELIEVE the Vivokey flex one MAY be injectable with a 4g Needle.
But that will probably not be confirmed until it is out of beta.
I’m sure Amal and Michelle will let us know in due course…
so inject NExT now and MAYBE inject Vivokey Flex One later…

2 Likes

FYI, not to be mean or a “correction nazi” but the Spark and Flex One are different products. The Flex One is the card-like one and the spark is the traditional rice-sized one.

3 Likes

@Pilgrimsmaster is right, getting the flex to be “injectable” is something they are working on. Not sure of the status. And I put it in quotes as it may not be exactly like injecting the glass tags.

3 Likes

Gotcha. I’ll keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the input everybody!

2 Likes

While we do want to explore the idea of an injectable version, currently we do have a validated 4G needle based procedure. The needle is used to make the incision and subdermal pocket, into which the Flex One can be inserted by manually picking it up with sterile gloves on and inserting it into the pocket.

The benefits of the needle procedure over a scalpel procedure include;

• the needle does the job of both incision and pocketing, whereas a scalpel would require a separate instrument to elevate the dermis after incision. Using the scalpel blade to separate dermis from lower tissues will almost always result in waffle-like depth that randomly cuts into dermis and down into subtissues. It’s a terrible installation method.

• the needle incision is smaller since it is a crescent shape that will “flatten out” to accept the Flex One as it’s inserted. This incision type also has the added benefit of not needing sutures to close properly. A simple butterfly bandage pulling the tissue tight, followed by a film or tegaderm bandage overtop of the whole thing will keep things together we’ll enough to properly heal.

• because it’s a needle based installation that requires no sutures, body piercers can perform the installation using standard body piercing equipment and techniques, opening up options for customers.

6 Likes

Do you have a video of this procedure @amal ?

2 Likes

Just to follow up if anybody else is curious: my package arrived in just 3 days and I live in the middle of fricken nowhere, USA. And no shipping fee! I’m heading to a piercer from the partner list next week. Thanks @amal!

3 Likes

We do not, but it’s fairly straightforward… any professional piercer should be able to complete installation with this method. The important thing to keep in mind is that the bevel be facing down not up, the skin be held up (tented) in front of the needle tip as it moves under the skin, and that the proper insertion depth is achieved to fully pocket.

3 Likes