HF LED Power Accessories

Sparkfun has some good content on using o-scopes

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-an-oscilloscope/all

1 Like

Whoa, that’s NICE.
Thanks dude.

Gonna add “learning to scope” to the Covid-19 / stuck-in-quarantine project list.

1 Like

You raise a fair point, good sir, I would have thought you would have had a better read lying across the antenna itself.
I guess it doesn’t matter when it is not working anyway :skull:
Good luck with the O’Scope

Feel free to PM if you have any technical questions. I teach people how to use equipment like that for a living.

3 Likes

I was thinking that too. also was thinking maybe a torrid coil around the wrist might work (Might require a specific xLED angle though)?

So, I kind of addressed this in Leeborg’s project post:

To elaborate more, the whole point of a “toroid” shaped coil is to contain the magnetic field, so that it does not create leakage current in surrounding metals or produce EMI for other circuit components. It’s designed to do the exact opposite of what we need. See how it’s made, thinking of the right-hand-rule?
unnamed (1)

If you look at the picture you in your previous post above, it shows “B=0” next to all the field lines. That means they’re confined and have no strength.

1 Like

I think I have misunderstood the way those coils work entirely or a long time then… OPPS.

I thought it tried to contain it to central part of the disk shape, but from your post I gather the field is contained to where the B line in your posted image is.

I had read that post of yours it the Leeborg’s but that was resting on the skin, I was talking about making the toroidal coil the actual bracelet, like arm through the hole.

Magnetic field physics do my head in.

What if you stacked 3 like a pyramid?

▲
▲‌ ▲

2 Likes

2 Likes

Because work has been ridiculously busy, I kept my xLed on top of the KBR1, for about an hour.

I didn’t notice any heat.

I have been trying to find the specifics for heat generation of low power LED’s, but I am unable to find specifics.

My theory is that the LED is producing heat, just not quicker than how fast my body can dissipate it.

Once the swelling is gone, I will take a temp with my arm resting on nothing, on a table, and on top of the reader.

I do not anticipate any difference being noted.

3 Likes

yall are doing great work. as a resident idiot i salute you smart’uns for making cool stuff for the rest of us :grin:

2 Likes

Most of the electronics stuff I ordered arrived today :grinning: including all the things I need to make the pierce oscillator circuit (well one thing is still out for delivery) and some different gauges of magnet wire to play with so I can start contributing to this finally.

tenor-1

3 Likes

Good news:

Neutral news:
Only let the magic smoke out of 2 transistors

Bad news:

3 Likes

Can’t believe how long it took me to hook it up. My breadboard skills are so so Rusty…

Update:
Not that this works for a bracelet yet but…

tenor-2

Only work’s inside the coil but yeah:

Will it work if it is touching the outside?

Not sure I understand the question?

As in will it work when the X FD is on the outside but touching the coil?

It’ll work only if it’s at least slightly inside, as far as I can tell.

Sorry for potato quality photos

2 Likes

So far this has been the best coil:

50mm * 8mm ferrite rod with 12 turns of 24awg enameled copper wire

Update: my antenna graveyard is growing. All of them work with a field detector but the above is still the best…

1 Like

The second one is what I was talking about. Out of curiosity, what kind of power source will this require?

1 Like

I am using a variable power supply on 5v ATM.

2 Likes