Home assistant and VivoKey

Here is my first project idea.

If anyone has heard of Home Assistant then you would know that is is a an open-source home automation/control platform.

I will be getting the Vivokey Spark 2 installed sometime shortly but I would like to end up using it to login to the web frontend. I will have the NeXT implant installed first and would like to incorporate that into my home automation server also.

I started a topic in the Home Assistant forums also.

Can someone assist me?

2 Likes

Once you have your Spark 2 installed you will have access to the Vivokey Forum
@torynfarr was working on / looking at something similar around setting up a voice phrase trigger with Alexa / Google Assistant / Cortana, I imagine this would be the same principle.

Not sure what progress if any has occurred.

Checking out the Home Assistant github repo, it looks like it’s all in Python. If they have plugins a la Wordpress, I’m sure you could write a Vivokey authentication plugin and have it play nicely. If Home Automation does not support plugins, you’ll have to fork it and change the base code itself. If they already support another OAuth method (especially if it uses OpenID Connect), it shouldn’t be too hard to copy and paste and change a couple of URLs. If Home Automation doesn’t support plugins or any current OAuth logins, that’ll be more of a chore but I’m sure there’s some drop-in-ready Python library that handles OpenID Connect authentication that you should be able to drop in. I don’t have time to dig into their code right now, so sorry for the generalities. I’m not so much a Python guy, but I have set up Vivokey auth in Node a few times and will be working on it in PHP soonish, so I’m happy to share any insight that might be useful.

1 Like

I found this while searching openID connect in the forum.
I think it would it be possible to make just a few modifications and get this to work. Could any one help me with testing as I don’t have the vivokey implanted yet. I may be able setup a test home assistant server for someone to try and login to.

I’m not sure that would work. That appears to have the user type their third party username and password into the commandline, but of course Vivokey doesn’t have a password like Google, Twitter, or another OAuth provider would.

These lines:

USERNAME = os.environ['username']
PASSWORD = os.environ['password']

Appear that they’re grabbing the credentials from STDIN when the user manually runs the python program (e.g. py auth.py username=thunderblaster password=MySecretPassword).

I believe you would need to get the client browser to present the Vivokey login page to prompt the user to scan their implant (or else be doing some pretty next level hacks). Reading between the lines on their thread, I take it that the “new auth provider system” would allow flexibility maybe meaning plugins but you’d have to write the OpenID stuff “from scratch”. That might not be too bad as I’m sure somebody has implemented OpenID Connect in Python and it’d just be a matter of linking that up to Home Automation and dropping in the Vivokey API endpoints.

How’s this project going? I develop smart home stuff at work and my whole house is controlled by home assistant so this definitely interests me. I also might be useful if you have any questions.

Would also like an update, tia :slight_smile:

Sorry to derail the thread, but what kind of home automation stuff do you make?

I work on Alexa devices for Amazon. Well more integrating other devices into the ecosystem. My team worked on the Alexa Xbox integration most recently!

2 Likes

Just gonna leave this here. Mycroft

Looked into using my raspbery pi before for voice controlled home automation but didnt want to use google or amazon versions and came across this.

1 Like

When will we be able to actually have a human-like conversation with Alexa, with context awareness and all that? Talking to voice assistants still feels like trying to use 1998 Dragon Dictate at times.

Can you run your own instance locally or does all your info and data go to their servers? For example, I want an AI assistant I can ask “what’s my schedule today” and have it be able to tell me and even remind me, but not need to open my calendar up to Mycroft or anyone else… is that what Mycroft is about? The reason I’m concerned about this level of separation is I also want an assistant to be able to dive into my files and content of those files so I can ask things like “how much hard drive space is being used by images?” or “can you find a microsoft word file on my file server that talks about the history of implants”… and I don’t want an outside company combing through my data, with ToCs that basically give it “ownership” to do whatever it wants with what it finds in those files…

are my expectations 20 years too early?

3 Likes

Yeah, multi-turn dialog (what we call a conversation) is not great on any of the assistants. But I use her quite a lot. like I say ‘goodnight’ to her and all my lights in the house go out and it reminds me if I have no alarm set for some reason. Shes also great to pause the TV when someone calls calls (easier than finding the remote) etc. Basically my house is automated as possible and I use her for exception handling, alarms, reminders etc. All the smart home stuff runs internally on my own hardware.

2 Likes

I am not sure how much of there service is cloud based, I know you need an account for licencing at least.

I did have a look at https://jasperproject.github.io/ a while ago. it is all local last I checked but local ones can be a fair amount of work for sub par gains.

There are also some limited hardware modules like this Arduino shield

1 Like

Sure if you want to spend the time to strip the “phone home” features out of Mycroft. I’m no lawyer but it seems they collect information just like the rest. The difference is they’re vary transparent about it and you get the option of either they own your data or it becomes public domain for everyone.

Really with the way voice assistants are currently that’s just what you have to expect. They’ve come so far over a handful of years because of that data, and if you check out the ones that don’t collect data you’ll notice they’re substantially worse. Maybe in 20 years though your wildest dreams will come true.

1 Like

Part of the problem is that us monkeys use our brains a bit too much when talking, for one example

2 Likes

i loved that vid… thanks for that.