How do we alter ourselves to deal with climate change?

They have a website: https://bimek.com/

But I’m not entirely sure if you can buy a pair right now.

2 Likes

I would get one of those,
Currently in the “we aren’t ready / pessimistic about the future for kids”

But not quite over the line for a vasectomy

Seems less reliable than a vasectomy though given there is still a physical connection of the tubes

I think I’d rather have more time and energy put into streamlining and perfecting the reversal process

Imagine a world where it was practical enough for young men could get the snip in middle school / high school, and then they could reverse when they wanted

Ofc not mandatory because I will still die of my hill of bodily autonomy

2 Likes

It would drastically reduce the amount of teen and accidental pregnancies. I fully support that idea.

1 Like

https://www.vasectomy.com/article/vasectomy/alternatives/gel-injection-birth-control-vasalgel

1 Like

This is more like what I was thinking. Retinol photosynthesis is a thing and we could probably modify ourselves for it, but it would turn your skin purple and it wouldn’t really meet all of our energy needs, it would just supplement our diets. Then there’s the extreme weather issue to deal with.

Any serious talk on climate change seems to end up here. Birth rates are finally dropping, but then you get Elon saying we should fear demographic collapse. What we should fear is not population decline -we can change economic models to adapt to that. We need to worry that our economic “leaders” will insist upon sticking with current models that require constant growth.

Interesting. Could we get more data on this please?

Thanks for the link.

This sounds like a good vision, but there’s no reason not to persue both. Having more options is right in line with body autonomy.

You’re not wrong… but I don’t think you’d legitimately have a need to be able to turn on and off your fertility that often

Either it’s off and at some point you turn it back on,
And you are likely going to want it on for a period when you are trying to conceive

Just thinking out loud here.

I see 3 paths to modifying humans.

The first we already practice. It basically consists of physically altering the body by some form of surgery. Chips, magnets, implanted hearing aids, Inter Ocular replacement lenses, etc. Basically customization to fit an immediate need.

The second would be genetic modification. But as I understand it, rewriting a portion of your genetic code only really works if the modifications are made before rapid cell division creates an entire organism. Once an fetus gets to such a level of complexity, it becomes too difficult to alter all the cells. This rules all of us out, as we are all fully formed.

The third would be chemical alterations. The see in the dark eyedrops come to mind. So do steroids for body builders, and human growth hormones. We could go down this road, but we’d need a steady supply of whatever we end up using. Even treatments that would last a lifetime would have to be re-applied every generation.

I’m probably wrong here, especially about #2, but just as important as what we’re going to change is how we’re going to effect those changes and what enviroment that will create for humans.

Could you give us some more details on this chloroplast experiment.

Honestly the ability to have it reversed should not be as low statistically as it is.

RIGISIL is another potential option that seems very promising.

1 Like

It was just to see what would happen during mitosis… turns out it mostly just kills the cell… but if it’s put in just before mitosis it gets randomly stuck in one of the resulting cells. Nothing that cool happened and I didn’t have full access to any real lab at the time… was piggybacking a lot of shoulders.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Microchiped or frequencies, mindreading, 24/7 followed or watched