How far would you go?

It’s time for a strictly philosophical and hypothetical question I’ve been curiously thinking about lately regarding implants.

The technology is evolving and no one knows which implants we could have access to in the future. Right now, all implants are passive with no own computing capabilities but in the future we may see far more advanced implants with small processors with unparalleled possibilities but of course with their own concerns for private security.

So to the question - where would you draw the line? Or is there none? Would you consider an active implant with online capabilities to eg. replace your phone? Brain implants to change your perception? Let me know what you guys think!

3 Likes

Bring it on. Ive been wanting a phone/music integration for decades. Once we figure out how to self power it it would be awesome. Only downsides are how often technology outdates itself and how providers wont play with each other (building prison like ecosystems)

3 Likes

Yeah I mean not really got any problems with any of it as long as its completely under my control. The eye-dear haha of having my eyes modified to give me zoom functionality and a hud has always been a dream of mine.

That and the ability to listen to music without having to wear anything (internal bone conduction) oh and the ability to interact with things around me (my smart house type things) without doing anything but think about it.

2 Likes

Good ideas! I’m also open for way more advanced and even connected implants in the future. I’m not for and I’m not condoning anything related to the likes of Facebook leaking private info to third party companies, but I’m reasoning that if it doesn’t directly affect me, then what’s the actual harm done?

With an implanted thing you would have less control of who has access to the information stored (and gained) from it, but as long as I’m not disturbed by banner ads in my ocular implant, I’m game for it.

5 Likes

I have no line that I can give a solid reasoning for. I could see something coming out that would make me go “fuuuuuck no”, but I’m not sure what that thing might be right now, if that makes sense…

I certainly am not worried about any philosophical issues or anything like that

3 Likes

This reminds me of how I feel about Alexa, or Google Home. I want a voice command house, and will probably build one myself someday. You just can’t get a pre-made system that isn’t totally connected to someone else’s servers, and I am not cool with that.

That’s always going to be a problem with tech that gets marketed to the non-technical masses. As long as that doesn’t apply to this then I’m with SammichBrad.

3 Likes

Not true: all RFID implants today have small processors - even dumb antiquated EM4xxx transponders. Some have not-so-small processors capable of doing strong encryption and running applets.

This.

The question isn’t what implants will be able to do technically, it’s what sonsabitches are going to use them to put you under even closer surveillance, violate your privacy and monetize your personal data any which way they can. It’s the same question with any technological object nowadays in fact…

So the best option is, I stay 100% in control of my implants. Unlikely with anything involving serious cryptography that interfaces with a third-party computing infrastructure (i.e. not my own stuff).

The next best option is, I trust the company or companies in control of them. Not very likely, and I have my reservations even with Vivokey / Fidesmo, which seem to demonstrate a fair amount of good will - what with my being paranoid and all :slight_smile:

The third option is, I don’t trust the company or companies at all: then I don’t play along and stay the hell away from that Google / Amazon / Facebook implant.

6 Likes

I think you mean SELLING :money_with_wings:

5 Likes

If there was a way to implant a screen into my forearm that I could do everything a phone could short of calling… I’d say sign me up!

2 Likes

I really liked the idea that was floating around in the led power bracelet thread of a implanted led as a notification light for txts and things.

2 Likes

Reminds me of these HF tags I saw: (obviously not a phone screen but still cool)

20200412_182715

20200412_182732

1 Like

The problem with that is, when you get to a certain age, you have to implant a second pair of glasses to go with it - trust me on this one :slight_smile:

Naah, you’re thinking too small: me, I want direct retinal projection.

3 Likes

When this becomes an option, I’m gonna have to think really hard about how to convince my wife to continue dealing with me I think haha… I should start planing for that now probably.

1 Like

I would assume retinal projection would come in the form of a contact lens or glasses before implant.

2 Likes

I wish @amal would finally grant us a retinal implant :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Replace my whole left eye with an implant :thinking: I am blind on that side so no loss :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Talk to Rob Spence. He knows what’s up

1 Like

I would go full hardware - as long as I was the software.

2 Likes

…and you control the hardware. Otherwise, any disabled person in a wheelchair fits your definition, and it’s not an enviable situation.

1 Like

I agree I’ll go full cyborg as long as I’m in control of all the hardware attached to me. I’ve got bad arthritis and it’s getting worse and I get a stronger glasses rx each year. Someone wants to give me :robot: parts that work better than the ones I’ve got I’m all for it.

1 Like