How many moderators are here?

I was just wondering, how many moderators are there in this forum? Not looking for names, just for a number.

I am asking because I moderate a totally unrelated forum and am just curious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Discourse based forums often don’t have a dedicated “moderator” title. Discourse uses a system called “trust levels” to automatically Grant active members of the community administrative rights. I suppose anyone with a “Regular” or “Leader” trust level would be a moderator on this forum. Currently there are 8 people with that badge (if you don’t include the discobot)

6 Likes

Aaaahh…thank you very much! In this case case, this is my first Discourse based forum, as I didn’t know about this principle :smiley:

2 Likes

HERE is the info on the trust levels.

OR
you could just follow the exact same link @Satur9 already posted above :slight_smile:

This forum doesn’t really need moderators.
It has a friendly atmosphere, People come here for advice or to share knowledge and experience.

I think the wrong attitude benefit nobody.

That’s my thoughts on it anyway

6 Likes

A bit OT, but I have to say, Discourse is by far the best forum system I’ve ever used.

The only thing I miss from other systems is the ability to control how videos are embedded in a post - particularly for Dailymotion videos, that insist on serving inane videos after yours: you can disable their stupid up-next queue, but only through a GET parameter in the link, that Discourse doesn’t give you the option of including manually.

1 Like

They drive me up the wall.

Because of how their embedded videos work, they are set to auto-play the next video by default and the controls don’t become visible right away… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I hate Dailymotion with a passion. But I hate Youtube even more. And Vimeo isn’t much of an alternative, sadly.

So, pick your poison.

COVID-19 :blush:

4 Likes

If that’s the case, then Discourse shouldn’t mess with it too hard… if you include it in the URL does it get scrubbed by Discourse or something?

Well, apparently Discourse simply extracts the video ID from the URL, determines it’s Dailymotion, and inserts its own HTML to embed the right player. It totally ignores the parameter.

giphy (5)

3 Likes

The only thing that bugs me so far with discourse is the bloody like limit being a fixed number. I understand anti spam protection but I feel like it should scale with number of post’s read. Apparently I like about 10% of what I read and that seems reasonable but on day’s when I’m bored (like today) and go back to read some older posts I always hit my like limit.

I guess I could learn Ruby and offer up a patch that at least makes it an option.

4 Likes

Number of likes scales with your Trust Level in Discourse, reaching level 2 ‘Member’ gives you more than a new user, and you get even more again at level 3 ‘Regular’

I’ve never hit my maximum, but I see you’re a Member already, perhaps @amal can raise the limits? Spammers should still get stopped at Level 1 with most users unaffected

4 Likes

It does scale yeah (guess I’ll just have to hit regular), I think my main issue is I am a fast reader and they grant the likes gradually. Like I tried to like your post and I have 2 minutes before I get like 1 or 2 more. The annoying thing is “you have run out of likes” message doesn’t work on mobile, the close button is off the screen :sweat_smile: so I have to swap to desktop mode or refresh.

EDIT: Speak of the devil…

4 Likes

omg i went into settings and there are like (pun!), over 20 settings for “likes”… I just raised the max per day from 50 to 100 so maybe that will help.

7 Likes

Whatever you did seems to have worked. I have not hit any limits so far. Admittedly it could be I have read through and therefore liked less posts but I don’t think so.

Either way thanks :heart_eyes_cat:

7 Likes

Interestingly, I just noticed that the badges for doing 50 likes on X number of days are now for doing 100 likes a day.

4 Likes

be careful what you wish for I guess.

Amal is like a sneaky genie :genie:

Lucky you didn’t ask for infinite hearts :heart:

AS001722_02

OR

1 Like

Just makes the badge all the more prestigious :heart_eyes_cat:

2 Likes

I wonder if I can convince the “sneaky genie” that being able to write pretty mathematics equations is a desirable feature. :genie:

https://www.discourse.org/plugins/mathjax.html

1 Like