Implant and store security tags?

Hi, I have a question about the NExT chip that I haven’t found any answers to after a good search.

Is it safe to have near all known store deactivation thingamajigs? You know, those who deactivate the anti theft chips? I know some products have RFID chips as well?

This article gives a pretty good rundown of anti-theft technologies. Wikipedia knows what’s up, too.

Many of the anti-theft systems use permanent magnets to activate or deactivate the tags, which would have no affect on a HF or LF implant.

Others use RFID, but they do not destroy the tag when you purchase the item. They just label it as “sold” in their database, so that when you walk out of the store and the tag is read by the monitoring system it doesn’t set off an alarm. Also, those RFID tags operate at a different frequency (1.75MHz ~ 9.5MHz but 8.2MHz is the standard). Signals that are just a few hundreds Hertz away from the target frequency of the tag (13.56MHz and 125kHz in the case of the NExT) will be almost completely attenuated and have no affect. The FCC has the whole spectrum mapped out to avoid problems like this.

5 Likes

Thanks, great answer! Hope this will help others with the same question too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually there is a legitimate concern, but only for certain types of implants. What is annoying about those links above is that they gloss over or omit the actual critical information regarding RFID and EAS. Basically I think they are simply stale… outdated. There is (and has been) a standardized EAS system based on RFID tags which operate with ISO15693 protocols, so chips like the Spark 1 and xSLX need to be protected against accidental deactivation. Tags that are ISO14443A like the NTAG216 in the NExT have nothing to worry about in this regard.

6 Likes