Injection lidocaine from Canada

I am not sure which is the correct forum to post this but I found a source of injectable lidocaine in Ontario Canada and at least up here they shipped same and it arrived two days later.

This stuff is hard to get for some reason.

1 Like

Please know that Lido with Epinephrine is NEVER to be used past the wrist (pretty much. sometimes back of hand is fine ish). Epi causes vasoconstriction, great for stopping bleeding in areas difficult to tourniquet, but has the potential to block blood flow and cause gangrene in extremities. Not medical advice, do what you will, but this is the common advice as far as local anesthesia goes!!

1 Like

Found another site with quite a few more options too, quite a wide variety of fun stuff and I’ve only found one thing that was RX only.

Yes you are correct, I believe they have the plain version as well but it’s not showing on their site right now.

Here’s good, I deleted your duplicate.

Are youooking at getting an implant?

Which one(s)

Where?

Did you need some advice?

Disclaimer: This is not medical advice, always discuss medical decisions with your provider, do not use medications without a prescription.

That being said, I’m an ER nurse and we’ve definitely used lidocaine with epi for hand/finger wounds/stitches all the time.

The practice of avoiding lidocaine with epi is sort of a myth amongst the medical community (we have lots) that stems from back in the day where you weren’t supposed to use procaine (same family as novocain) with epi. That’s because procaine is insanely acidic.

I used lidocaine without epi for mine because that’s what I had access to, plus I wasn’t worried about bleeding too much since it was an injector.

If I use slice open a pocket, I’d more likely consider epi.

There’s been a number of studies backing this up; here’s one I’ve seen in the past:

Lalonde, Donald MD; Martin, Alison MD. Epinephrine in Local Anesthesia in Finger and Hand Surgery: The Case for Wide-awake Anesthesia. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 21(8):stuck_out_tongue: 443-447, August 2013. | DOI: org/10.5435/JAAOS-21-08-443

3 Likes

Again, don’t listen to me. Not a doctor, not medical advice.

Fascinating, thanks! I take back my previous point! I found another good paper on it that I added below. I was under the impression that it was a universal no-no.
You’re right about the pervasive medical myths, one of my favorites is the new-ish obsession with blunt draw needles for Sub Q injections. I think it’s great practice because of the reduced biohazard risk, but I’ve heard too many times about the benefit being reduced dulling of the needle. Maybe with > 30g, and IM should always be as sharp as possible, but plenty of things are administered with syringes without removable needles subcutaneously; i.e. Insulin and allergy shots. Also, sharp tips help reduce vial coring. All things being said, it’s likely better, but it won’t be the end of the world if you don’t do blunt draw sometimes.

Similar point, neat article about the gauge of needle not influencing pain.

Linked PDF of Epi and Lido.
Evaluation of the safety of Epi in Lido.pdf (198.5 KB)

1 Like