Is my xM1 chip completely dead?

Hi!

I’ve had two xM1 chips (one in each hand) since early 2020 and they’ve been working as intended. I’ve had the occasional soft-brick where I had to unbrick it using FixBrickedUID or such tools.

More recently, however, I can’t seem to connect at all to the xM1 in my right hand. Not with Proxmark3 Easy, ACR122U, my phone or anything else, it’s like there’s not even a chip there. This means I can’t unbrick it the way I’ve had to do earlier. Has the chip been fried? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you probably just altered block 0 wrong and it is complaining.

do script run hf_mf_magicrevive.lua on the implant in proxmark

2 Likes

Thanks, but it’s not detecting the implant at all. The same script works as intended on my other implant.

[usb] pm3 --> script run hf_mf_magicrevive.lua
[+] executing lua /usr/local/bin/../share/proxmark3/luascripts/hf_mf_magicrevive.lua
[+] args ''
hf 14a raw -k -a -b 7 40	
hf 14a raw -k -a 43	
hf 14a raw -c -k -a A000	
hf 14a raw -c -k -a 01020304049802000000000000001001	
hf 14a raw -c -a 5000	
hf mf csetbl --blk 3 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number: 3 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
[!!] 🚨 Can't write block. error=-1
hf mf csetbl --blk 7 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number: 7 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 11 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:11 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 15 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:15 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 19 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:19 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 23 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:23 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 27 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:27 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 31 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:31 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 35 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:35 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 39 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:39 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 43 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:43 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 47 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:47 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 51 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:51 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 55 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:55 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 59 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:59 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error
hf mf csetbl --blk 63 -d FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF	
[=] Writing block number:63 data:FFFFFFFFFFFFFF078000FFFFFFFFFFFF
[#] wupC1 error

[+] finished hf_mf_magicrevive.lua

jesus fuck

anything s[ecific happen to this implant?

also those are wupc1 commands. that means its not coupling. change positoning

1 Like

Remember the basics. The HF antenna must run perpendicular over top of the xM1. The HF antenna is actually on the bottom PCB so hold the bottom of the proxmark3 over the xM1. There is one place on the PCB where the traces crossover, this is a terrible place to try to couple with the xM1 and you should pick a place on the PCB where the traces are straight.

2 Likes

Not sure if something happened to the chip. My left hand implant (same position as in the right hand) does work with the PM3 antenna after some fiddling, but no matter how I try to align it with the implant in my right hand, it just doesn’t want to work. :frowning:

Yeah, I’ve been trying all kinds of positioning with absolutely no success. In terms of what could have happened to the chip, only thing I can think of is if I’ve come too close to my Oneplus wireless charger with the chip, but that shouldn’t really immediately fry the chip, should it? Can proximity to things like wireless chargers, induction stove tops etc. even fry an implant or am I just imagining?

1 Like

Thank you, I guess I can rule that one out then.

I’m still puzzled as to why the implant simply won’t respond to any unbricking attempts. I do know it can be difficult to get it to talk to some devices, but since the one in my other hand does work, I’m quite sure it’s not me holding it wrong towards the PM3 Easy HF antenna. How likely is it that the xM1 has been fried by something?

potentially. there are things like cascading memory failures and such but the fact its completely blown up suggests something weird

2 Likes

I would suggest two things… first is use the X field detector keychain to figure out the best position on the antenna… then maybe post a photo of this so we can confirm everything’s good?

The other thing would be to use the tune command on the proxmark to see what amount of deviation you get with field voltage as you position the antenna over your implant. You should get a good amount of deviation and voltage drop when you get good coupling.

1 Like

And maybe do this for both of your xM1s to compare and post high and low Voltage for each :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Sadly, I don’t have one of those and I can’t seem to find where to get them in Sweden either.

I’ll try the tune command and will report back here.

hf tune doesn’t seem to be working, it’s simply stuck at “36281 mV / 36 V / 37 Vmax”. lf tune does work, but is, of course, using the wrong frequency. I’ll see if I can ask a friend who has a real RDV4 to see if his device does any better.

time to check firmware and client match up to each other and your hardware… what proxmark3 hardware are you using and can you post a screenshot of your init screen that shows firmware versions etc.?

Screenshot from 2022-03-21 16-31-14

Here you go. I’m using a Proxmark3 Easy using Iceman’s repo for firmware and software. Both updated today with the same result. To be honest, I don’t think this is software related, as I can get the PM3 Easy to couple with my left hand implant without too much hassle, but no matter what I try on my right hand, it’s like the implant wasn’t even there. Not sure what else to try except maybe my friend’s RDV4 which hopefully works better when using “hf tune”.

Hmm yeah… unfortunate. Let’s hope the rdv4 had better luck.