Joining the club! | NeXT Installation

Hey everyone! I first learned about DT at DEF CON 30 and haven’t stopped thinking about it since. Last Saturday I got my NeXT installed and it’s been a blast so far.

I had mine professionally installed by Kevin at Evolutionary Studios here in Nashville. Installation was a breeze and Kevin did a great job. Here at day three and I have pretty much full range of motion back in my hand just some itching at the injection site and mild soreness. I was able to read both the HF and LF side immediately after installation.

Just have a few questions about first steps now that I’m comfortable enough to write to the chip.

• What steps should I take to secure the HF and LF sides of the implant respectively? I understand the HF side has lockbits on the important pages however the have a default password which is publicly available on this forum. Is there a guide I should follow to change the default password?

• Is there anything I can do to secure the LF side of the implant? I don’t mind people being able to read without authentication but I do have concerns about people writing to it.

Really excited to be part of the community. Hoping to get an XSiiD at DC31!

4 Likes

It is possible to set a password on the T5577

Welcome aboard! :grinning: As it goes my first implant was also the NeXT. Best of both worlds :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

HF is secured using the respective app. I don’t know about LF.

Welcome to the club

Happy to help, but just to let you know, the password set on the HF side is just to prevent you fucking shit up i.e. to protect you from yourself.
Very very few people actually change it when they understand the purpose and that changing the password doesn’t actually achieve anything.

It’s not a password in the sense of having to enter it before you can Read or Write. Because these chips are designed to allow that to freely happen.

You will find that to read and write to an implant, especially an xSeries like the NExT, somebody will need to be VERY close and in fact touching you, so they wont be able to do it without you noticing it.
And a password wont stop that from happening anyway.

HOWEVER
If you STILL want to change it, the password will be one of two options

NExT (most likely)
DNGR (this was for xNT, but just in case)

I suppose I should answer this also, I just need to know what tool(s) you have to write to it with.

This is the perfect scenario to do this, but again

I’m not sure what your realistic threat model is where somebody would be writing/changing your impland UID, but if your concerned with security the T5577 is not the chip for this purpose.
Is a bloody great chip, but just not a secure one.
and thats the beauty of it.

For what its worth, I would reccomend you don’t , but If you decide to set a password, make sure you DO NOT forget it

There are some tools that will automatically set a password eg. the Blue Cloner and the White cloner and a number of other Chinese writers
These are known passwords and can be “easily” removed, but they are more of a hassle than of benefit.

Again, if you still want a password set, Let me know what tools you have, and I can give you a point in the right direction

1 Like

Really appreciate the detailed answer. I suppose my concern is more others setting a password on my chip rather then me setting one and forgetting it.

Thinking about what you’ve said about how close someone has to be, I think I might just need to reevaluate my threat model

I do have a proxmark3 I’ve been playing around with. I was able to set and remove a password on my T5577 but it seemed to be for reading and writing instead of just writing.

As for the HF side of things I’d just like to change the default password. But reading more into it. It doesn’t really seem to be necessary.

2 Likes