Just thinking about data storage implants

Like most dermal and open surface structures it’s all about the personal body, 1 person had a successful heal 2nd person had a rejection after about 6 months 3rd had rejection a couple months after implantation. Having “open” wounds is finky.

6 Likes

Did the connectivity work? Or did you just test hollow dermal posts?

Yes the connection worked. It’s would nice to see a screwable jack developed for a dermal post.

1 Like

Then the only other “safe” option is supercapacitors. The problem with those is, their energy density is about 1/10th that of lithium ion at best.

Also safety is relative because, at the end of the day, you store a large amount of energy in a device under the skin. Whichever form of storage you choose, if it fails for any reason, that energy has to be dissipated somehow, either in the form of heat, or gassing out or something. Since there are no totally safe energy storage methods, at the end of the day, it all comes down to doing QA at a level not commonly applied to consumer-grade products.

I really don’t agree with that. Storing moderate amounts of energy at a low voltage potential in a supercap (especially when they get more efficient in a few years) is exponentially safer than any of the chemical energy storage mediums available.

Most supercaps max out at 2V-5V. Even in the worst case scenario, that voltage will not travel through more than a few mm of tissue or a few cm of blood, and it’s all the differential we’re going to need for most implant use cases. Even if it doesn’t last more than an hour or two, then we can start to utilize resonant charging technologies to top up the implant in our homes, cars, and workplaces.

No one has mentioned peg leg implant? Take a look

1 Like

Except for

:wink:
oh, and
#37 by Devilclarke4m - No one has mentioned peg leg implant? Take a look
:+1:

But other than you three, Nobody
:laughing:
and now ME !!!

#38 by Pilgrimsmaster2m - Devilclarke: No one has mentioned peg leg implant? Except for #3 by Satur92d - Check out the http://pegleg.org/ Pegleg #20 by Bluethebox1…

But other than us Four, Nobody else

Voltage isn’t the issue. The issue is, if the device fails and dumps all the energy it stored as fast as it can, will it turn into searing heat or uncontrolled chemical reactions happening inside your body? The more energy stored, the higher the danger, because all that energy has to dissipate somewhere.

Of course, capacitors (even super-ones) store less, so the danger is naturally minimized. Still, they have such low internal resistance that they can generate scary currents when they short out. And since most high capacity caps are pumped full of nasty chemicals, they can very well go pop inside you and release them into your bloodstream, even if they don’t store a lot of energy compared to a similarly-sized lithium ion cell.

There really aren’t any safe energy storage devices, only safer ones - simply by virtue of energy having the potential to be released uncontrollably. That goes for batteries, as well as for coiled springs, pressurized scuba tanks or speeding cars: anything that stores energy in any shape or form is dangerous.

I meant in this thread :relaxed:

But I just spotted them oops

1 Like

mine has been “healed” for 3 months and still sometimes acts up. Can’t say i’d recommend for mass consumption though I am pleased with it personally. I like the idea of using it as a charging port though…

1 Like

We’re still far from the interface plug as seen in The Matrix.

1 Like

I must say… look at the terrible tissue scarring and inflammatory reactions around each interface. Come on machines, you could have done so much better than that.

2 Likes

No need to, we were just a :battery: for inevitable consumption. Why make it pretty?

2 Likes

Tell that to the vaping crowd: some of them are into beautifying their 18650 batteries. I shit you not.

1 Like

Man, nothing says I value my well being like heating up batteries.

2 Likes

After cutting off/covering up the safety information on the side of the cell :ok_hand:

That said, it does look kinda cool

That’s not the worst that happens to ecig batteries. They live a hard and short life in unregulated mods :slight_smile:

Oooh I know, its really funny watching people put large amounts of electricity into metal and are shocked when things go sideways when they don’t know what they are doing.

2 Likes

Do you treat your batteries with such disregard? hahah I nurse my batteries for all their worth!

2 Likes

electricity … shocked… logical! :sweat_smile: