Lodestone PICO : Finger magnet fun for everyone

Not at this time, I don’t see anything I feel comfortable with on the market right now …
The xG3 and titan are awesome, but a bit big for fingertips to my liking. And I’m not sure how much sensing I would get from the knife’s edge … And it’s pretty exposed out there …
I wish there were a tiny implantable dot magnet for the fingertip, no lifting, just sensing. Could stick it in the fingertip and forget about it …

That’s what I love about them, I just didn’t want anyone to see my mixed results and think it’s because of the actual product :grin:
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Let us know if you need anything, always happy to help if I can :+1:

1 Like

Would love to onboard a couple people, someone with good NFC knowledge on ZINC and a pcb/electronics wizard for the next Lodestone idea :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

No “wizard” here, but happy to slap things together and test them. I’m very much a hardware guy, mostly PCB testing, troubleshooting and repair :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Wrong account ? @Az_F

Not me :man_shrugging:

I’m the same way. Although my projects are going to start requiring me to learn to design pcbs to further gain any more inspiration. I know there are some great tools there and learning material I just need to find the time to learn.

I taught myself AutoCAD earlier in the year and married out my house, electrical, plumbing, etc. I hear a lot of the PCB design software follows the same fundamentals but I haven’t dug into them yet.

I have the next 6 weeks off work so I might start learning and I may be able to help. If not design I can absolutely build in bulk.

3 Likes

Just 6 left

Edit: *5

5 Likes

So sexy! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Eenie, meenie, miney, mine! I’ll be all decked out by the time I actually get my Titan installed.

3 Likes

You got my numbah

I can help out with that if you want. I’ve trained quite a few people including some on the dangerous discord, which makes it easy with voice chat and screen sharing.

2 Likes

DM me your GitHub username. I’ll add you to the repo with all the Lodestone ideas, see if anything tickles your imagination.

I neen to make a chat somewhere for the people involved to bounce ideas

The forum messages function could do that for you

works like a private thread amongst invitees

3 Likes

Got my PICO today…

I’m very excited… So are my 2 fingertip magnets! :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I finally did some serious measurement of the PICO. Brought out the big boy Gaussmeter and spent the entire evening getting data :grin:

I was interested in the frequency response of the PICO over the relevant 0-500Hz range. In other words what’s the magnetic field strength produced over that range (independently of sensing).

Once this data is collected you can do something like:

[Sensing threshold] * [Frequency response] at x frequency and get a scientifically relevant sensitivity value in Teslas :microscope:

Here’s the setup:

I’m using a HIRST GM07, Transverse Probe in AC mode at a 45° offset to the PICO. Tip to tip. Measured values were highly depenent on the probe’s position (to sub-mm) so I clamped it down, taped the phone down and did it all in one go.
A couple hundred measurements later I finally got these sexy curves:

I carried the same tests with ZINC and a free signal generator app as a control. I did them with all three of the commonly used waves as well (sine, square and saw).
Sine frequency response
Square frequency response
Saw frequency response

The spreadsheets and details are of course in the public repo: https://github.com/AxelFougues/Lodestone-biomagnet-tools/tree/fad742a3d4c9400147dc69fc8493e4ff5a8f4619/PICO/Measured%20preformance/Frequency%20response

So I’m positively surprised tbh. Intuitively I expected some serious drop-offs under 60-50Hz but the response turned out to be pretty flat which is nice!
The fact that the ZINC and other curves match pretty well (mostly) means my experiment was relatively consistent.

The fact that I get a consistently stronger field with ZINC probably comes from a difference in software implementation and is good to see as well :mechanical_arm:
Also something I didn’t expect is the slight decline in higher frequencies (which is not that bad really), it doesn’t match what I’m use to see with amps and speakers.

Now wtf is going on with the saw wave? I honestly dunno :exploding_head: I double and triple checked and I can confirm this is the output with relative confidence.
Here are some possible explanations:

• Software implementation, is unlikely to affect only some frequencies. If it is then maybe I could replicate for the other frequencies and signals and get a significant improvement?!

• PICO’s hardware? Maybe. If anyone with electronics knowledge has an intuition on that I would love to hear it.

• Phone’s hardware? Possibly. I plan on doing the test with a couple othe phone brands (this was done on a Pixel 6). If so it will become obvious in those tests.

• User error? Maybe I triple checked wrong every time? If so it will show in further tests.

• Probe sensitivity? Maybe the probe I’m using has an abnormal behavior on that specific range ? I didn’t shield the length of the probe from the tip which given the direction of the field should maybe be done.

9 Likes

After three delivery “attempts” where they didn’t even knock on my door, just left a “sorry we missed you” note, I’ve GOT IT!!! :classic_grin:
Those stickers feel really nice too!
Thank you @Az_F and @Hamspiced!!!

6 Likes

I’ve got mine too yesterday! Even when playing music through it, the sensation is really good and detailed. I’m a hobby musician and I would love to listen to the music while sensing it. That could unlock a new level of immersion. Is there a way to drive the build-in amp of the PICO as well as sending audio to Bluetooth headphones for example? I might try something similar on my Debian workstation if I find the spare time, but being able to do it on Android would be nice.

1 Like

That may or may not be possible on Android. If it is you can be sure I’ll implement it in ZINC eventually.
I’m sure you can easily hack something together on Debian. Look into how to output audio to two outputs simultaneously.

Alternatively stick your finger in your ear. Seriously. It’s a wild experience

2 Likes

I’ll try that for sure!

Mine arrived today.

Amazing. Love the wee case.

5 Likes

Huh the tip came loose :neutral_face:?

You can thank @invalid_signal for that! The first ~20 people got one, I’m all out now.

4 Likes