Magnet question

Silly question for those who have a magnet implant:

I’m not going to implant a magnet in any of my fingertips for various good reasons. Still, I’m curious about the extra sense it provides. I’m thinking, maybe gluing a small but strong neodymium magnet to a fingernail provides a close approximation.

I have a bunch of thin flat 18650 battery separator magnets that seem rather strong, and I’m tempted to crack out the superglue. Before I ruin my manicure and spend 2 hours fondling electric appliances for nothing, has anybody tried it? Can you feel something? How does it compare to an implanted magnet?

I don’t think that would work; at least not in the short term with batter separator magnets. Maybe if you can get small 3X1mm N52+ magnets(approx $10 for a pack of 300) and leave one on for a few weeks you might see some results.

I once use two small but powerful neo magnets that had my finger pinched between them. Tried it out on an industrial sized 3 phase transformer, about 2.5 feet in length, width, height. I could definitely feel it. Had to be close-ish.

I think we talked about this before with regard to a tooth magnet and bone conduction… you gotta keep the dead weight (non-magnetic mass) down as much as possible. A fingernail will drastically blunt the sensation. If you could get an N52 strength magnet and use a drop of glue that was only as wide in diameter as the magnet itself (no extra mass or fulcrum style leverage working against it), I think gluing a magnet to your much more sensitive finger pad would give you a more accurate idea of what you might be able to experience with a magnet implant. It would be extremely temporary of course, but if you set up some experiments ahead of time, you would only need a few good working minutes to get the gist.

In short, big blobs of glue will probably result in lower resolution… meaning low frequency magnetic field changes will still be easily felt but higher frequency stuff might not… maybe 60hz from the microwave will be within the “low range” spectrum of sensation… and of course just boosting the power could also result in some sensation as well… though maybe not really equivalent as to what you’d feel as an implant.

Anyway I think if you have enough magnets, you could make an experiment out of it and glue some to the finger pads on one hand and some to the nails on the other and see which are more sensitive!

Ah yes, I didn’t think about gluing directly onto the skin. Silly me… And yes, you’re right, the nail might create too much inertia.

Hmm, I’ll play around when I have a second and I’ll report back.

2 Likes