Magnetism and demagnetism

Couple of questions I can’t find specific answers for. As a machinist I frequently use an industrial demagnetizer, I’ve been trying to keep my hand away with my xEM and xNT in it, but occasionally if I get too close I can feel the chips vibrate. Any risk of messing them up? I’m also curious if a strong neodymium magnet will cause any problems with my implants?

I’d love to implant a magnet but I don’t think it’s right for me since i constantly have my hands near metal chips and dust. I’m constantly having to clean metal particles off my laptop lid that has a magnet in it. My airpod pro case is constantly a mess from metal sticking to the magnetic closure.

Back to the demagnetizer, I discovered at one point that if you put a neodymium magnet in a small box and put it to the demagnetizer, it will bounce around inside the box at a pretty crazy rate. Doesn’t seem to have any lasting affect to the magnet. Could be an interesting sensation with an implanted magnet, or dangerous like an MRI.

It might induce strong enough eddy currents to damage something. It might also dislodge or fracture the ferrite core. Both events are rather unlikely, but definitely not a null probability.

If you’re a machinist and you value your skin - and your tools, and your sanity, stay clear away from implanted magnets.

Really doesn’t sound good. but I think amal said with a titan it would be ok, because the titan shell can’t be damaged by some metal chips/dust.
Still, I imagine it would be pretty messy and having small metal pieces pierce 1 spot regulary doesn’t sound good either.

This however could be very funny with a magnet implant…

I wouldn’t worry about the demagnetizer and the RFID implants. The primary concern would be eddy currents generating heat inside, as Rosco mentioned. The whole point of the ferrite in the antenna is that it has high coercivity which means it is really easy to flip the polarity of the magnetic field inside it and it does not produce eddy currents. That’s why it’s useful for RFID signals. Here’s a video you might have seen showing how quickly the x-series implants bounce back after being strongly magnetized:

As for magnet implants, it would entirely depend on the gauss rating of the demagnetizer. The xG3 has a gauss rating of roughly 7000 near the poles, so at 37°C you would need to expose it very closely to an oscillating field of at least 4500 gauss several times for it to have any measurable affect on the magnet. I haven’t experimentally verified this information, it’s just my understanding. I’ll look around for some papers.

4 Likes