Medical personnel reaction to implants

I’ve decided to create this topic based on my recent experience with medical personnel. Because of some unfortunate events I had to undergo a surgery a week and something ago.
So story goes like so, I’ve been prepared for anesthesia before the procedure. One of the nurses helping the anesthesiologist was probing my forearm to put additional abbocath. She was touching the exact location where my apex was and I was seeing some confusion on her face. I was, may I ask you not to puncture there, because I have a subdermal implant, please choose anothe location. She was like yeah sure. Meanwhile the doctors standing by, heard our conversation and this sparked their interest, so they started asking questions. What is this implant, what does it do, where you got it, how is it made, how it was installed, etc. Then I was, lads I have two more, and I’ve also explained about the x series. One of them was, can I touch it, and I was laughing saying, yeah sure. They were saying that I was the second patient they see with such things. I was surprised that they were so curious to learn more. Told them, look guys, when you’re done fixing me, find me in the traumatology department and I will give you a full demo, how this things work. Fast forward next day morning around 10 people(doctors and students) came to my room for the demo. We had a good talk about technology integration in daily life. I showed them how apex works and what I use my x series implants for, storing medical data, unlocking doors, etc etc. Folks were pretty impressed and I am also sure some of them were thinking I am crazy. This place is an university hospital, so it seems there were a lot of young openminded lads there. Seems like where I am living people with rfid implants are very rare breed.
Bottom line is, I had a good time explaining to and educating people. Also got two new 11cm titanium implants :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Lucky they didn’t file you under their own “you know what” category. :joy:

6 Likes

These new implants, are they going to allow you to pick up certain frequencies now, or did you add a 7th sense(to know when it’s going to rain)

Glad you’re on the mend sir

5 Likes

They will give me the ability to trigger metal detectors at the airports :smiley:

3 Likes

I was at the doctor a few days ago actually and told them about my xEM. They asked to see it and I showed them the tiny scar and they prodded at it and didn’t seem too interested. They asked if it hurt and what the recovery was like. I told them it was minimal and that it just felt weird for a few weeks, like wearing a watch on the wrong wrist feels weird but you get used to it.

Nothing nearly as fun as your demonstration.

2 Likes

Checkup after a motorcycle accident (I wasn’t conscious during the ER visit :roll_eyes: …) … Waited the end of the visit for the doc to ask if I had any questions, told him I’d like to check on the implant (I was mostly concerned about the NExT on the same limb that hit the asphalt and needed surgery) to make sure it was ok, he seemed a bit weirded out, but ordered an X-ray. The X-ray tech was confused … Asked a lot of questions, did lots of test because he wasn’t sure how to position it … He was really interested. Once the X-ray popped up on the screen, he called all his coworkers :sweat_smile:
Back with the skeptical doc for the results, and he now was super interested about the technology, how it works, how secured it is and asked if we could store patients name and allergies on it (like the medical bracelets).

It didn’t came up before/during surgery, and I didn’t brought it up …

For all consecutive checkup I was “the implant guy” :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I messed up my knee and had decided to finally visit an ortho, she wanted do an MRI but I told her that I have magnets and chips implanted and offered to take them out, then come back for the MRI. She started to look at me the way I presume people look at the “you know what” thread. So after she told me I could do a CT with contrast dye, I pulled my phone out to show her the xSIID and then she became interested.
While at the imaging office getting set up for the xray (I think it was xray, correct me if im wrong) to place the needle for contrast dye in the right spot, the guy asked me why I wasn’t getting an MRI. He didn’t believe me until he found some metal to stick to my hand XD
One of the nurses at the plasma place I do donations was going through my file for a biannual check up and said the implants were cool, but after she saw my Firefly tattoos, we talked brown coat stuff the rest of the time haha

4 Likes

Same here. Cracked the ulna in my arm and completely fractured the fibula in my leg.

I have a feeling that they nicknamed me like that as well lol

4 Likes

I regret not going to the ER after my motorcycle accident. I could’ve asked to check up on my implants and be one of the cool kids with a xray lol
Thankfully my accident wasn’t too bad, just a good concussion and fucked up shoulder.
Hope your recovery goes smoothly!

5 Likes

Nowdays they do not give you the xray picture unfortunately. Rather they use a wifi enabled cassette.

1 Like

Wifi enabled cassette? Sounds neo-retro.
I was able to get CDs of my previous MRI and my recent CT scan.
I just want a jpg to blow up and print for the living room wall haha

2 Likes

Correct, you can ask for cd of MRI or CT, but usually the idea of triage, same as in security field is to do more with less. Xray picture is faster and cheaper compared to complete MRI. It’s pretty dope thou

1 Like

Gotcha
Where I’m at they send you to a different company across town to get imaging done like xrays, CT, MRI, etc if it’s not an emergency. If I go there on my own, it costs an arm, 2 legs, and a kidney. If I went with a doctors note, my insurance would drop it down to just the cost of an arm lol
Been waiting for another medically sound excuse to image my implants. I met an xray tech at a bar once, and he offered to get me in for free, but nothing ever came of it :frowning:

Amal better come up with upgraded replacements, then it would make sense.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes