MRI Question (Pulling Feeling)

Hi All,
I have an X-Series Implant in my right hand and today I went to go and get an MRI and I told them and they were all cool and asked me to hold my hand near the MRI machine just to see if anything would happen and when I did I could feel the magnet pulling on the implant,Is this normal?

due to this I got worried and didn’t have the scan as they were worried it would burn me or explode, I have read (now after getting home) this page Here and it all reads as it will be fine, I guess I just want to ask if anyone has done that and did they feel it “Pull” and I know it says its all safe I just need someone to reassure me that it is save and Ill be ok.

Thanks David

Was it an xG3? That would probably get a decent sensation…

1 Like

its an xNT This?

1 Like

Hey David86
Check out this faq also
MRI references Right at the top For xG3 and at the very bottom for more MRI info

1 Like

I have no first hand experience so take what I say with a mountain of salt.

The xNT has a ferrite core that could be effected by an MRI enough to produce a sensation (possibly, I think) it would not hurt the implant as is explained in the FAQ @Pilgrimsmaster linked. I have not herd anyone else describe it however and phantom sensations are a specialty of the human brain so you could be imagining it.

2 Likes

thanks for the link, some really good info and testing they have done

1 Like

you could be correct, It could all be in my head lol
I’m sure I felt it pull it, I did move my hand away from it and back again, it didn’t hurt it just freaked me out and because I hadn’t read up on it as I didn’t even this about it being an issue, I pulled the pin on it.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering about small magnets and MRIs. I know DT recommends pulling them out before getting an MRI, and I’ve also seen ferromagnetic things fly at high-speed when they’re around those machines. So I know they can be a considerable danger.

Still, if an implanted magnet is braced enough on the outside before getting an MRI, both vertically and laterally, with bits of matches and several layers of stiff non-stretch sticky tape wrapped tightly around the implanted finger, do they really need to be taken out?

I mean it takes a whole lot of force to tear through skin: you can have your finger crushed by something rather heavy and come out completely unscathed. I assume it would be rather similarly resistant to a blunt object trying to punch its way out, even with a large force. As for preventing the magnet from slipping inside the fascia layer, my feeling is that lateral bracing that properly pushes down the skin around the magnet should do the trick also. It seems to me all you’d risk is getting a bruise around the implant.

I guess what I’m asking is whether DT issues that piece of advice because of physics, or because of lawyers. It would be interesting to inject a magnet in a chicken or in a pig (dead, preferably) and run it in an MRI machine, to see what actual tissue damage it causes - if any.

1 Like

To be clear, I think he only has a xNT. So that should not be a concern right?

To my knowledge, there’s no iron in an RFID implant. So, no.

EDIT: wrong: the ferrite core is ferromagnetic.

1 Like

The ferrite core would have some iron in it… but not much.

1 Like

I can’t speak on behalf of Amal / DT, but here is MY take, for what it is worth

my opinion

Lawyers, :balance_scale: Not only this specific MRI question, but if you read any of Amals answers, he is stuck between a rock and hard place. :person_climbing:
He officially provides all the information he can without giving medical advice, although I’m sure he would want to, and I’m also sure he is more than capable of doing so, but just can’t for liable reasons. :man_judge:
You will see him step in to stop somebody from doing something stupid or dangerous :stop_sign: , but he will word it in a way where, he points out the “mistake”, but not give actual advice. ( difficult for him I bet :moneybag: ) SO advice on what NOT to do…Which is NOT by default on what TO do

my opinion

That’s where we come in, We can / should direct people back to Amals recommendations ie. Get it installed at a professional installer But we have the luxury of giving anecdotes and personal experiences, recommendations, how we have done it, what we would do.

Amal CANT do that, I don’t blame him.

my opinion

Now to answer the question with

my opinion

If it was me in the same situation, I would read and watch the tests that Dangerous Things carried out, and provided some interesting information, but cleverly NOT advice.

I would make my own decision on the research that I carried out, In this case, I/me/personally would go through the MRI with no concerns (but @anon3825968 suggestion of taping the implant site was also a good one).

If I wasn’t clear, this is purely

my opinion

1 Like

Ah yes, true that. I forgot about the ferrite.

Maybe we should ask some Vets. What they do if they have to make a MRI on a chipped Pet?

A least in switzerland we have more chipped Pets than chipped People…

All very good points and questions, I’m still 50/50 about it all, part of me wants to just get the MRI done and see what happens, the other part of me wants to cut it out, have the scan and then put it back in (not sure if that safe) , as its my front door key, so without it I have to put a pin in or have to carry a tag for the door with me everywhere.

1 Like

You’ll be fine

MRI Compatibility document

1 Like

They have only been tested and certified upto 7 teslas…do you know how many teslas the mri machine had

2 Likes

Haha, you beat me to it lol. I was thinking about it in my sleep haha (don’t worry I’m weired like that).

Would be good to know what strength field it has.

This dosnt mean its not safe (correct me if I’m wrong but the 7 tesla mri had no impact at all)

3 Likes

If you have 7 Teslas on your implant, I expect your hand will be quite thoroughly crushed anyway.

2 Likes

Typical Hospital MRI machines are usually somewhere in the 1.5-3 Teslas range, as far as I know. Some might go upto 6 or 7 if they’re really damn new (in medical terms, so like… the last 3 ish years haha) and used for research more than typical use. So it might be POSSIBLE to get an MRI that’s 7+ Teslas, but seems unlikely to be common, at least for now.

2 Likes