Newly chipped, some questions

I hit my piercer up about this, handed them the docs, and they were down a week later. Just had it done - a brand new NExT between my thumb and index metacarpals. he stuck it in and then fiddled with an orange thing on the side and then depressed the plunger. This left a white tip at the end of the needle. Does it sound like it was successfully implanted? I ask because I can’t scan it with my iPhone, it acts like I’m not presenting an NFC tag at all. Is that just how it’ll behave out of the box without being programmed? Thanks!

2 Likes

Yep that’s correct… the white tip is the end of the plunger that pushed out the chip.

Also you’ll probably need to wait 2-4 weeks for maximum readability

3 Likes

That’s most of my concern alleviated - can’t be anywhere but in my hand! Can’t seem to get a read at all, I’ll give it some time. And get a Proxmark next paycheck.

2 Likes

Congrats on the install! Waiting is the hardest part.

3 Likes

@Az_F
Can the frustrating “two weeks wait” be shortened by Zinc’s Power Scan feature?

1 Like

You would have to scan something else as a trigger. You would also just power the LED not get an actual read but yeah you want early blink then it should work.

1 Like

Yes I just meant Zinc beeping to let you know that something readable has been implanted.

I have a flex-style implant (Apex Flex) which are typically easier to scan because the antenna shape is easier to couple with readers. Even so, it took me around two weeks before I could get a reading with my phone. Even if it feels like the inflammation is minor, it’s enough to put your chip on radio silence until things settle down. That’s just how it works with these things. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

With an iPhone you will definitely need to wait a few weeks. iPhone’s have notoriously difficult to work with NFC antennas. They’re on the top of the device and extremely thin and flat. It make’s them perfect for tap to pay applications but not real good at much of anything else(don’t be discouraged though, I have an iPhone 14 Pro and an xSIID that it works well with if I can get the orientation perfect).

1 Like

I disagree: When you know the right angle of attack (see Amal’s video) you can get pretty reliable readings from an iPhone.
When I’m given an iPhone by someone who wants my vcard I flip it up perpendicular to the chip, top left hand edge, “Ping!” And Robert’s your muvver’s bruvver! The whole time the chip site is in view.
When I’m given an Android I wipe the chip all over the back of the phone because there’s no way of knowing where any given manufacturer has put the antenna on that particular model. All the while the chip is completely hidden from view.
My own personal Android phone is slightly easier to get a read on because I know exactly where the antenna is. :man_shrugging:t2:

I was more saying that iPhones have antennas not designed for tag reading. My xSIID is in my forearm so it’s significantly harder to read than a P0 implant. Android phones can scan it pretty easily but my iPhone tends to need me to get the orientation near perfect to get a read. On top of that I can’t have a case on my phone if I wanna screw w it.

Lucky me, I’m able to get a reliable read in the correct orientation now.

4 Likes