NExT migrating?

Hey! I got a NExT implanted 2 days ago, and it feels as if the implant has moved really close to the injection site and the surface of the skin (I can touch the surface of the skin at the scab and I think can feel one end of the implant). I’m worried about it popping back out the way it went in, is this a concern? And what can I do to hopefully ensure it doesn’t come out? Thanks you in advance!

I had the same concern when I first got mine. What I did was gently nudge it back down. During the first few days it may move around a fair bit (that needle is quite large lol) but it shouldn’t come back out unless you really go ham on it. After the wound seals it may still move a bit but will settle down as time goes on and your body heals around it. Got my NExT a few months ago and just got an xMagic in my other hand Sunday so I’m in the same boat as you right now!

3 Likes

Congrats on the NExt!!!
I’ve had most of my implants migrate on me, but never close to the insertion site, though a lot of people have.
A good trick for trying to tame the implant is using toothpicks and tape or wraps to create a boundary for the implant to stay in during healing after you gently nudge it back into a favorable location.
This shouldn’t be a big concern, though just keep an eye on it. If you don’t want to keep toothpicks on your hand, then keeping a folded up piece of gauze or paper towel with a bandaid over the injection site just to be sure.

2 Likes

Good to know! I want to possibly get a xMagic next, so hopefully this current one goes well!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice–I’ll give the toothpicks a try! Excited to finally be part robot!

2 Likes

Just to aleviate any concerns you might be having, to reiterate what amal has mentioned in the past: the healing of the pocket acts like a zipper closing towards the injection site.

So basically what is happening is that the subdermal layer is healing and as it does that the skin is putting pressure on the implant from the back end and may push it towards the injection site. That’s all it is.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!! Has there been any instances (that you know of) where the implant has accidentally popped back out from the injection site after the first few days? I know there’s been cases where it came back out with the needle or shortly after injection.

I’ve only ever seen this in scenarios where the implant wasn’t placed deeply enough to start with. Generally speaking, if the implant is deep enough then there has been enough time for the incision site to heal enough that the regression or migration of the implant toward the incision site does not result in rupture but it just slides under the incision. In fact my 2005 xEM is sitting 50% on one side.ofnthr incision and 50% on the other.

To clarify, by deeply I don’t mean z-axis depth under the skin I mean x-axis horizontal distance from the incision site.

1 Like

Okay thanks! I was feeling a little paranoid, but the person who implanted me absolutely knows what he’s doing so it’s good to know I don’t have to worry!

1 Like