(*****) NFC antenna amplifier/Resonance Circuit V1 & V2.1

Thanks. I kinda figured it just need to be tuned. I will update you tomorrow when I get my VNA

1 Like

It’s a capacitor btw, even though you used R1 as the reference designator.

0603s can be tough if your iron is chonky, luckily most standard irons can fit smaller tips to work with 0603. I have to do 0402s and even 0201s for work pretty regularly and those can be very difficult, especially if there’s other components in the way. They sell low melt solder paste in pretty inexpensive little syringes which you can melt with a pancake griddle if you’re having trouble with hand soldering. Takes care of itself due to surface tension

1 Like

The Miniware hotplate can easily handle normal solder paste. And some people have also used a pan with some sand in it for melting solder paste.

But I’m now intrigued by the pancake griddle option as I’ve never heard of it before. I think that the low temperature stuff is mostly used for rework, specifically removing chips.

The run of adapters were done way prior to me understanding the theory of the tank circuit.

About 5 or 6 years ago the YouTuber Ave released an amazing ruler on his Etsy. It had surface mount components but he had a great walkthrough that had you place tiny bits of solder wire next to the components, place them in your frying pan and heat them up.

Still got mine somewhere… in case I ever need reference to the thickness of a red cunthair

1 Like

Canadians also hate metric apparently… Keep your **** in a vice!

4 Likes

Sorry for the delay on testing all, not a hamsped issue, its a me issue, long story, but basically I was joking about Hawaii, but my courier pigeon (not a real pigeon) actually went to actual Hawaii, but my Repeaters are now officially on their way

1 Like

Hawaii is awesome. lots of random street chickens.

1 Like

Hahaha, It’s funny the memories we take away from places, Yours was chickens.
Mine was this

When I went, I was walking past a shop at 2am, there was a queue out of the door and about another 10-15 people waiting to go in.
I thought to myself
:thought_balloon: “what’s so interesting and worth queing for at 2 in the morning”
:thinking:
:thought_balloon: " It must be a delicious takeaway that is super popular"

As I walked past and looked in the window, It was a souvenir shop selling fridge magnets…Fucken Fridge magnets…
So weird
BUT
Thanks for the memory Hawaii

2 Likes

Whilst we wait for the repeater to arrive

I’ve been meaning to ask

Hamspiced
:pig2::hot_pepper:
or said another way
Spiced Ham,
:hot_pepper: :pig2:
Which is another way of saying
Pepper Pig
:hot_pepper: :pig2:

was it intentional???

might be time for an avatar change

2 Likes

In early 1999 i was in 9th grade. At the time my buddy had an awesome lan setup at his house and i would go over there to play the best lan game of all time, “Starcraft”. it was my first experience with Handles or Usernames. At the time he was obsessed with spam. Spam is Spicedham. so that was his username. I made mine Hamspiced and i used it ever since…

So it’s Spam. Which also has some ties back to Hawaii :wink:

3 Likes

I have a different handle that I use in a lot of places and it also has a story to it but I don’t like sharing it.

I’m going to get a DM from the forum AI threatening me with the ban hammer in I don’t share it, right?

This post was a mistake

3 Likes

For full visibility, @Hamspiced sent this to me for free. (via my very slow courier pigeon)
Actually the V2.1
The following opinions are my own, with zero bias and fuck you if you think otherwise :rofl:

Right, now for the professional review

I’m getting almost 30mm reads of my Apex.
Measured with the professionally tuned eye-ometer
(Thats more than an inch for those if you using freedom retard units)

I just threw the V2.1 in my phone case, and actually looking foward to some 2FA Apex scans

This was just a super quick spoiler post.

I will set up my test rig and do a direct comparison to my previous testing of the Phone, Flipper, and Proxmark

to be continued…

#GameChanger

5 Likes

Read and digest
If you hate tables ( I did consider doing a graph )

Long story short, and a confirmation of my previous statement

These Resonant Repeaters are

MUTHA FUCKEN GAME CHANGERS

• V1 fit easily in / on most devices
  • V2.1 are too large to fit in a flipper zero, and slightly too large for Proxmark.

The alternative is to place the V1 or V2.1 over the implant and approach with the reader
This works well, but maybe not a easy / practical as mounting the repeater to the reader.

2 Likes

When these are listed and avaliable in the DT Store, I am going to petition Amal to name these
MFGC
MUTHA FUCKEN GAME CHANGERS

What should these Resonant Repeaters be called???
  • MFGC
  • Something, logical, boring, and sensible
0 voters

*If Amal chooses something different, I will still add MFGC as a hyperlink to the product

4 Likes

Wow, i really appreciate these stats. I actually never expected the data to reflect such an improvement over the V1 design. I actually assumed V1 would perform better considering the number of turns and guage wire. This is great.

The prototype board you have is going into production as well and that will most reflect the effectiveness of my flex version of the repeater (hopefully)

2 Likes

I must say, the testing was a bit more difficult due to the size of the disc.
I used my test rig for all the testing to keep it consistent, but the horizontal plane made lining up a bit more difficult. Lets just say, there was a little bit of juggling happening at times.
I should have prepped better

Sometimes I would get an amazing result, sometimes it was just OK.

I wasn’t going to post the results straight away, because, I think I can get some more consistent results off of the rig and testing vertically with a ruler standing upright
(The vertical vs. horizontal probably makes no sense to you all, but I’m not talking about polarization, but rather the physical lining up of the MFGC, the reader and the implant. )

You’ll note, the V2.1 on the phone I recorded ranges from 30-50mm
30mm was the constant, reliable and repeatable range, BUT I would get the occasional 50mm.
I believe this coincided with the phones duty cycle of high power NFC pulses (~1:5)
it happend too many times to ignore, but the 30mm is more what to expect.
Which is FUCKEN AMAZING by the way.

With the Flipper and Proxmark, due to the physical size of their antennas compared to the V2.1, there was the offset/overhang, which I think helped to improve performance.
I think for the proxmark (easy) a little recess for the V2.1 to mount into on a PM3 case would be a great setup and it could live there “permanently”

I think the V2.1 is too large to use with the Flipper as a fixed option.
My V1 sits between cover and casing and I have great improvements on read range.
You COULD make a slit in the silicone cover, and it COULD sit inside with an overhang, but this is really not practical.

Basically, what I am saying is, let me run this test again with some control measures in place, and real world applications.
By that I mean,
in my initial V1 testing, all my testing was V1 on reader, approach implant.
If you want even better ranges, you can achive these by placing the V1 or V2.1 on the implant and approaching with the reader.
HOWEVER
In my opinion, this is less real worldy, It can be done, but I think you are better to leave you MFGC inside your phone case/ flipper case or mounted to the PM3 case, rather than removing it every time you want to read an implant.
Yes the read ranges are better with antenna on implant vs antenna on reader, but personally, I don’t think this is realistic in most instances.

What I expect in my next testing is:
A drop in some of the V2 figures, but in general, a noticable improvement on the V1 in almost all cases, which is inturn, a huge improvemnt on the naked readers.

I dont think people should get too fixated with the numbers, but rather be made aware, these are Mutha Fucken Game Changers, and you will not be disapointed with whatever version you get, and you too will be thanking Hamspiced and Satur9 for their great work.

Personally, I will be having a setup like this:

V2.1 will live in my phone case ( Thanks Spicey )
V1 will live in my Flipper case
A V2.1 will be mounted in a modified PM3 Easy case ( But this will be a “round to it” job to edit the file), But I will also look to mount a V1 inside my RDV4 case

NB: I havent even mentioned numbers with multiple MFGC… :smirk: :hamster_emoji_gif:

1 Like

That is awesome. Also a tad concerning from a defensive point of view. 50mm is still very close, but I can think of situations where I wouldn’t notice someone holding a phone that close to my wrist/hand (where as I would notice if they made actual physical contact).

I think anyone targeting you specifically would be using something s but more powerful from a less conspicuous modality like a backpack or something with a big reader in it.

Anything important should leverage additional security measures like passwords form your otp and fido 2 with pin set.

For sure. I was thinking things more like door locks. And for the Apex/FlexSecure a DoS bricking attack.

There isn’t near enough implant adoption for this to be much of a real concern. Usually there will easier ways for someone to gain whatever access they want if they are targeting someone specifically.

1 Like

Also, the stars need to be aligned to get the 50mm readings.
I would probably get 7-8 reads at 30mm before I would get a 50mm.
Also purely just reading a UID.
Not a full dump etc.
If they wanted that, it would take them a lot of

time

You and they would have to stay perfectly still and within very close proximity

200 (17)

2 Likes