NTAG I2C Test Chip

Makes perfect sense :slightly_smiling_face: thanks for looking into it. Maybe the silkscreen idea of drawing an actual size xSIID around it could still be used, but Iā€™m happy to pick up my rework station and change the LED out if it ends up bothering me!

2 Likes

Just re-read your post. Iā€™m guessing most of your projects will be using the UID or a very small amount of storage. Should be able to order some NTAG 216 cards/stickers/fobs out of china and use those for your family. Theyā€™ll have less storage but should respond to the same commands and work for most situations.

Most people are looking for I2C cards to do test writes to so that they donā€™t brick their implant when trying to use the extra 1k of storage.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m hoping for both, as well as to guarantee that the cards work for the same implementations as my implant, I donā€™t know how cross compatible the 216ā€™s are

Someone who has spent more time with the datasheets may have to correct me here, but my understanding from my reading the other day is that the NTAG family is interchangeable unless the reader requests the version (amiibo does this) or it tries to read data that doesnt exist (more than 888 user bytes on a 216)

Other than that, the read and write commands are i believe identical.

Or, of course, you try to use a feature that doesnā€™t exist (I2C comms on a 216)

Well, a lot of my projects would be arduino DIYā€™s, and Iā€™m very much a beginner, so I donā€™t know how well I could make it interoperableā€¦ Thatā€™s why I wondered if there was a good source for 12C chips, I knew they werenā€™t common but they seem pretty non-existent from my searchesā€¦

As far as I know itā€™s more that the NTAG 21x, I2C plus and Ultralight x are NFC Type 2 compliant. The commands for reading and writing etc are all defined by the NFC type 2 spec.

Sector 0 of the I2C plus is essentially identical to the 216 for most use cases as far as I know.

2 Likes