Oh God that's a new one

Jeeez thats mental. Hopefully she’s a bit less stressed as you’re on the case !

Wild ride indeed. Not sure if it was better for it to turn up or not but I’m not going to comment aha.

This is perfect, actually. You’ll never loose the shoes argument again.

That won’t stop her :slight_smile: But I bet she’ll accept being “seen next to a hobo” when I drive her to the customs office this once.

I work for a major online retailer named after a river in south amercia which I can’t name and helped launch a customer returns warehouse for them. The number of packages coming in with drugs and weapons was absolutely astounding. Due to the volume of packages, everything gets opened then placed on a conveyor for someone to process, so most of the time the person opening the boxes kind of zones out and doesn’t really check who it is addressed to. Once the person inspecting the returned merch opens it, they realize what’s up. I’ve seen parcels that were accidentally delivered to the warehouse with an old nasty sweatshirt wrapped around a block of weed, I’ve seen pistols wrapped in newspaper, attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion… all sorts of stuff I never would have thought someone would put in the mail…

Sorry for your hassle on this one. As a leatherworker, I have to ask… Do you get to keep the leather at least? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Hope they send it back, sans drugs, of course. See who picks it up.

this is honestly the first time i’ve ever heard of any recipient being held legally responsible for anything coming in that was addressed to them… I mean even the “border force” crap drama reality shows that follow around customs people don’t do jack crap about shit found in the mail besides seize it. Imagine the power… I am going to start sending junk coke stomped on with white phospherous to you in the mail with dust all over the outside… and a letter about how you need to update your mind control chip implants so we can continue to securely talk via telepathy… try explaining that one away… 3 times a month… for 6 years… any rando with a grudge could really mess with you this way… seems like a dumb law.

2 Likes

I assume customs got their pants in a knot because she did place an order with that company. It wasn’t sent to her by a random stranger.

I dunno what the recipient is or isn’t responsible for legally here, but here’s how the letter starts (in Finnish):

Muu aihe tai ilmoitettava asia
Tulli on ottanut haltuun ja takavaraikoinut 22.09.2020 nimellä ja osoitteeseenne lähetelyn postilähetyksen, joka sisälsi epäiltyä huumausainetta. Olette rikokista epäiltynä syyllistyneenä huumausainerikokseen. Olkaa hyvä ja ottakaa yhteyttä puhelimitse yhteydenottotiedoissa mainittuun tutkijaan, epoiaksesi kuulusteluajan.

Selostus
Mikäli et reagoi tähän kehoitukseen teidät etsintäkuulutetaan / teistä tehdään noutomääräys

The rest is even scarier, and I’ll leave it out because copying that shit isn’t exactly easy on a US keybard.

honestly there’s no chance that customs had any idea about the legitimacy of her benign internet ereader order… they aren’t getting regular calls from the local NSA office about the random goings on of international ecommerce orders… they simply saw the packing list or proforma invoice with her name on it and decided to drag her ass into this for no good reason.

“You are a criminal suspect guilty of a drug crime.” pffff… either this is a translation error or I’m suddenly very grateful the USA considers you innocent until proven guilty… even Italy is a “you’re guilty until you can prove a negative” stance toward law enforcement.

2 Likes

Like the customs officer said, it’s a boilerplate. Still, I have no doubt 5-0 might have pulled off a Starsky and Hutch act in other circumstances - like if my mom wasn’t 76 or we lived in a “hot” neighborhood or something.

Whatever the case, believe me she and I had a good scare.

send me the names and addresses of the customs people involved… i’ll send them some “drug crime”.

You jest, but I got a call from the same people when I ordered a bunch of lockpicks from KSEC not long ago. They’re a touchy bunch.

actually i’m as irritated by this application of the law as you might get if you were forced to use google by the government or something… it’s a fucking stupid waste of time and tax money to go after the recipients of such packages since any serious threat to society (major drug importers) are not going to put their own fucking name and address on their packages… and even if they did, is the law so loosely defined there that anyone can slip some shit into a package and potentially destroy some innocent person’s life?

That is what I learned today: you probably can’t destroy someone’s life by doing that, but you certainly can make it very complicated and very worrying.

Well, funny you should mention that: as it turns out, here in Finland, almost anything you do - be it interacting with the administration, going to the doctor, banking… is done over the internet, and the secure identification is handled by the banks for some reason. I shit you not: you request a drivers license on the government website for instance, it asks you which bank you have an account in, it redirects you to your bank’s identification page, and you have to open an app on your cellphone to enter a pin.

Well guess what? The damn secure identification banking app is only available on Google Play. No way to get the APK on Aptoide, Apkpure or - god forbid - from the bank’s own website. As a result, you simply have to have a Google account if you’re to function here. They’re the de-facto gatekeeper of the nation’s digital life. Fucking amazing that it bothers no-one here.

…sounds like VivoKey needs to try to nudge in on that sweet sweet identity action…

I would like nothing better.

When does the Apex come out again? :slight_smile:

soon

11 Likes

Totally love you for that one!

ducks away again, not to derail yet another thread

1 Like

Yeah I totally concur. The day I saw that scene, Rutger Hauer shot all the way up my list of favorite actors forever.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: threads are there to be derailed :slight_smile: I’d rather talk about Roy Batty than about some random civil servant threatening my poor mom for no good reason, quite frankly.

2 Likes

Okay, I get that :wink: I just had nothing to contribute that hasn’t already been said - being very surprised that something like that actually can happen and wishing all the best to you and your mom.
And yes, that very special scene of Blade Runner might have made Rutger Hauer (a great actor in various other films as well) immortal, in a way - I can’t even say why exactly it touched me the way it did, but it was something in an intensity I rarely experience in movies.

1 Like

Anyone who isn’t touched by Hauer’s performance in that scene is a psychopath.

2 Likes