Omnikey 5427 CK performances question

Does anybody own an Omnikey 5427 CK dual-frequency reader? I’ve been considering buying one for a while, but I’d like to know what to expect performance-wise before pulling the ole credit card for a change. The last dual-frequency reader I purchased turned out to be totally unable to read HF implants and it was a real letdown.

How does it compare with the ACR122U with HF chips for instance? Does it read LF chips easily?

Haha, this doesn’t answer your question for you, but, Are you OK? that sounds very off colour for you…:wink:

Well, the thing is, I need to order a few ACR122U’s anyway. But before I hit checkout, I’m thinking of throwing the Omnikey in the basket, to save on shipping.

I’ve been wondering how well it works for quite some time. Also it would let me implement a clever security feature in my login software (read on). But at the end of the day, I really, really don’t need yet another reader - and I certainly don’t need yet another poorly-performing reader. So my desire to add the Omnikey to my order is tepid at best, unless I have some reassurance that it would work well.

As for the clever security feature I’m thinking of, it’s this:

In left hand, I have an Indala and a Mifare Classic implanted close to each other. If the Omnikey delivers, being dual-frequency, it should pick up both chips simultaneously and report both UIDs almost at the same time. That means I could implement a feature that ties two UIDs, requiring both of them to be read from the same reader within a very short time window for successful login.

That means someone who would want to clone my chips to login would have to know they need to clone both HF and LF chips, and that they need to present both cloned cards at the same time to the reader. Strictly speaking it’s not security, it’s obfuscation, but it would complicate things considerably for would-be attackers.

My software can already do that, but with two readers. I’d like to see if the Omnikey could make it possible with only one reader.

1 Like

I don’t have anything to add, but I’d love to hear how this goes… I assume reading the high and low sides of a NExT would work similarly? Good luck with it!

That sounds really practical and useful :blush: which is why I probably won’t work :sob: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Great Idea, probably predictable results, Indala should read first followed by Mifare… unless it reads continually and you get indala indala indala mifare etc
OK so maybe not completely predictable
Good luck with it, and hopefully somebody ACTUALLY answers you shortly