Open Source 13.56MHz Sensor Implant

Ok, I like the beUno and the xBT, I really think they’re cool. I just refuse to get something implanted in my body that either relies on a clunky reader or a proprietary app. I have ideas on how this forum could design the a open source sensor implant. I’m thinking we take NXP’s NTAG 5 Boost and connect it to an NTAG SmartSensor. Then we have the NTAG 5 talk to the SmartSensor over i2c and report the temperature over the NDEF record. Then it will be in plain text and we could even make a fancy app to format it all pretty. We could even leave most of the NDEF available and still be able to store data on the chip. I’ll even be the guinea pig for this. I’m just not skilled with implant and NFC tag design so I am definitely going to need help.

1 Like

The Flipper Zero can also read the xBT, and is far less clunky than the Halo reader, with a ton of other features :wink:

2 Likes

I still forget my flipper all the time. Also the xBT has the problem of having that antimigration cap. There’s a plethora of reason why I wouldn’t implant either of the current sensor implants. They’re getting really close though.

I think the anti migration cap can be removed.
But you have to eject it from the injector and sterilize it before implantation.

I’m just realizing that with the NTAG 5’s power harvesting we could also make it blinky

There are other types of sensors but they have some type of anti-migration coatings as well. Like parylene. but from what i have researched all of them operate at 125khz or higher. To me it looks like the BeUno is the only one that is at 13.56mhz or my searches are poor. Ive been talking with a chinese company to see if they offer something similar.

I feel like if you can find a temperature implant that can operate at HF then you open up more possibilities (using your phone rather than needing a “bulky device” like a flipper or something else with you). Once the hardware is figured out you then have the hurdle of development of an app. In my experience this can be difficult, especially for one person to take on. I think the current Zinc project could evolve into something like this but it is a lot of work for one person to take on. While id love to assist, my mobile development skills are about as refined as my wifes communication skills.

1 Like

Use the Link. No reason to use the Boost if there’s no battery

Look for another I2C temperature sensor. When Amal and I made an implant with the NHS3100 in 2019 we encountered two problems.

It’s not super precise because it’s made for tracking refrigerated food in transit and such, things which can vary by several degrees Celsius over the course of operation. For the body we really want to measure variations within a very small range.

The second major issues was that it’s functionally impossible to program the NHS3100 over NFC in an implant form factor, even though it’s advertised as such. The NXP app developer themself told me that it was janky and there was no way I could pull it off in less than ideal coupling conditions. The intended operation is to program it over SWD from the LPCXpresso IDE using an LPC-Link2 programmer. Using the implant sized WLCSP variant though there’s not really a good way to do that. Plus once the code is loaded you can never change it.

If you get a couple collaborators who are actually interested and will stick with the project I can make a Community Projects thread for this.

Look for another I2C temperature sensor

I didn’t even see the temperature variance in the datasheet. I have maybe found a few other possible sensors to replace it though. The P3T1084 seems like a decent option with a variance of 0.5 degrees celsius. It’s a little too much variance I would think. Anyone know of any tags with an analog input? Maybe we could just put a standard thermistor in it? I definitely see issues with that but it seems difficult to find an i2c sensor that doesn’t have garbage accuracy. I also might have no idea where to look.

The MAX30208 looks kinda awesome. It would be accurate up to .15 degrees and runs on 114µW while taking a measurement. It’s 2mm x 2mm, would it fit in a standard xseries?

1 Like