Open source deadbolt lock

Wow, that’s pretty shit for you, for me it would cost the same USD$100 but I assumed the shipping would be ridiculous like it normally is, however I was plesently surprised

The thing is I never lock my door so it would be wasted on me.
I could buy it from the USA , get it sent to me in NZ and send it to you in Canada and it would probably be cheaper for you

Haha
I’m glad I proof read before I posted

1 Like

That’s what I thought also

Unless Amal bought more thanks One, duh duh daaaaa

Danalock has an even closer option (it uses adapters to fit into US deadbolts replacing the thumbturn) but still includes the whole access controller part.

It’s actually cheaper to order it from .com and pay the international shipping LOL

You should try licking your door from time to time. They do a better job when they feel appreciated.

1 Like

I bought two :slight_smile:

Mine probably has lead paint on it… I don’t think I want to lick it.

What are the dimensions of the XAC? (I am wondering if it is best housed in the same housing on the thumbturn or better have a thumbturn housing and the XAC separate.)

Like 1.5” x 4” pcb off the top of my head

1 Like

So my current thought is to use a servo motor to turn the tailpiece, and a microcontroller with a sensor to determine if it is locking or unlocking.

If needed the servo motor could then be calibrated via the microcontroller for full throw in each direction.

This would have a physical thumbturn, and a simple 2 wire connector for the XAC (or whatever other access controller you want to use)

The circuitry should be pretty simple I think, and the device would need (hopefully minor) modification for other formats of lock.

Frankly I’m surprised that such a retrofit system (without an access controller) doesn’t already exist but all the ones I can find so far include a proprietary access controller of some description. (Although some of the options are cheap enough they might be worth looking at to see if they can be cannibalized as providing most of the parts already)

I think you’re overthinking it

The gimdow is all of the locking mechanism you need, you just need to figure out how to tell it open and close separately from its combo touch pad

I might well be overthinking it but I would rather start with what I need than so much more. I prefer the danalock mechanical connection to the gimdow or the instalock, although the price is also significantly more.

Frankly, as the instalock is simpler and currently about $60 it is a better deal than the gimdow, and probably easier to modify.

I think I have found a interesting basis, it doesn’t have the mechanical thumbturn, and it seems like the XAC would need to be set to 5 seconds, but… It is also only $2.50

Yes I have it all in pieces a started modeling it in solidworks work then got really crazy and it got back burnered. I can only work on it in lunch breaks etc but we will end up with a model, the only catch is with a bunch of tiny parts it’s unlikely to be fdm 3d printable

Any success in figuring out how to trigger the lock and unlock cycle?

Unfortunately this lockitron module is no longer available from adafruit, it looks like it would have been another good possibility. (The phone module wouldn’t be needed, and the microcontroller would have to be programmed differently…but the hardware looks like the sort of thing I was thinking of)

I’m not playing with the electronics tbh I’m concentrating on getting models of all the parts.

Boo lol

I can take a look but doesn’t look like it would be a “unlock lock” they drive a motor that is geared with a rotary encoder and little switch. Maybe we could gut the electronics or pull the firmware off and modify it :thinking: ffs now you got me thinking

Haha, I hope you are sitting down :wink:

1 Like

I’m fat so … always :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am looking for this , anybody any ideas?? :smiley: