Open source deadbolt lock

Agreed 100%

1 Like

I think we just need to integrate an RFID reader into this thing lol.

That’s pretty nice! A friend uses this in their house which is pretty nice. You can limit access hours to particular people etc, would be nice to hook it into Vivokey :wink:

https://august.com/products/august-smart-lock-pro-connect

Ya I don’t like the August because it just fits over the thumb turn you already have. I’ve got a window next to my door so I use a double cylinder deadbolt so the August would kill the security of the door. I was a locksmith for a while so I pay attention to that stuff. You can have the most secure lock in the world but if someone can just break a window and reach in to unlock it, the lock won’t matter.

1 Like

It’s either the window or the door I’d prefer they break the window than cave in my door frame/door

1 Like

I’m not a locksmith but I do pay attention to failure modes also, and that’s why I’ve always stayed clear away from euro-profile NFC lock cylinders such as this one: the secure go-go bits that control whether or not the knob can engage the bolt are entirely on the outside. Bust the knob with a hammer, and you’ll be able to turn the bolt with a pair of pliers.

In short, those things only look secure, but really aren’t. I’ve yet to see a truly secure euro-profile NFC cylinder where the actuator and electronics are contained in the inside knob, and only the NFC reader is in the outside knob. It probably doesn’t exist because it’s would be an expensive and complicated thing to make, since the two parts would have to be electrically connected.

Lockpickinglawyer has been doing videos on RFID access systems recently and their potential weak points. Worth a look if anyone here is waiting on more news about the development of this project like me. Speaking of which, any updates?

2 Likes

If they are at the point of kicking down the door you’ve got bigger problems, or your in a much nicer house than I am if a robber can’t get in my house relatively easily I don’t think they will try. The sound of a broken window can be muffled, a cracking door frame not so much.

Realistically In residential situation yes that’s the case, most run of the mill thieves don’t have lock picks let alone the knowledge to exploit a RFID lock.

Commercial break ins are more where you may encounter people opening up and exploiting weakness in locks as opposed the physical weakness of say the window in the front of your house.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but a feature that I would very much appreciate is the ability to integrate into a home automation system like openHAB. even if its just a status read and not controll

1 Like

This would require a longer range communication protocol. Smart home systems commonly use Zwave, ZigBee and Wifi. If we wanted the most accessible option WiFi would probably be the way to go. Then probably the most generic communication solution would be to add MQTT support which would make it simple for any of the open home automation systems to access the lock data and/or send it commands.

EDIT - because I cant post 3 times in a row:
For the backup power that has been discussed, you can use some phones (like the s10) to wireless charge other wireless charging capable devices, that could be an interesting way of providing backup power if there is enough demand.

1 Like

I am not a typical user most likely so my setup is probably irrelevant to your point but…
My whole house is full of smart home stuff, rgb lights, smart doorlocks, door/window sensors, motion sensors, security cameras, etc… All of these devices are designed to work with a remote server but if you ignore the echo devices I have because of work my house still functions with no internet access, in fact again ignoring the echo family devices my smart home stuff lives on a vlan with no access to the internet.

I guess that potentially makes them LoT (lan of things) devices…

2 Likes

The lock will have Bluetooth. Could the phone be used as a bridge to allow home automation systems to access the lock when you’re nearby, or would that defeat the purpose?

We’re almost certainly not going to add WiFi control to the commercial configuration because it opens the lock up to a ton of new security vulnerabilities and we don’t have the bandwidth to build an impenetrable fortress that’s seamless for the user in 3 different dimensions of communication.

If you require WiFi, you could always create an add-on board for the DIY version of the lock.

2 Likes

What about a zigbee or zwave interface? There common and having a remote connection would be valuable.

If it has Bluetooth, we could build a bridge that plugs into mains, that it is a common way manufactures often use to add additional connection capabilities to Bluetooth locks

ZigBee would be ideal, it can be encrypted and doesn’t require a proprietary hub to work.

1 Like

We could possibly put an xbee module socket on… that way you could add basically whatever you wanted… wifi, zigbee, zwave, etc. and just change firmware or update firmware to support any option from xbee

3 Likes

I’m using a magnetic door/window sensor, hooked up to an ESP8266 WiFi module for the purpose of checking the current status of the apartment door (open or closed) and when the last change of the status was.

6 Likes

I have a door open sensor it’s great but doesn’t replace the functionality of knowing if you’re front door is locked. Or the ability to operate it remotely (let my parents in the house when they arrived early for a holiday, while I was still at work)

I guess you could implement an auto lock but in that case you would probably want a built in door open sensor so you don’t try to lock while the door is not shut.

2 Likes

Agreed, sensor can tell you if the door opens when it shouldn’t but it doesn’t tell you if you forgot to lock on the way out or let me let someone in from the couch.

2 Likes

That actually sounds perfect. TBH I didn’t even know that that was a thing…

1 Like