Overwrote factory data

Hello, Im new to using NFC chips and I recently purchased the NExT NFC implant. I was using NFC tools to write to the device when it appears that some data is now lost. When first reading the device, I had taken screenshots just in case I had lost data in the future. I was attempting to overwrite the password on the chip and now the ‘Signature’, ‘memory information’ and ‘Protected by password’ fields are gone. What can I do to fix this?

Can you download nxp TagInfo and do a full scan and send screenshots of the output please

Looks completely fine

yeah there is not really anything special about the factory data… and anything can be recovered… the lock bits on our products have been disabled and the dangerous parts are protected by password requirement before you can update / change those.

nfc tools and other nfc apps are not very good at parsing the nfc standard and kind of lose their minds when dealing with our products. the protections we’ve set are perfectly within the spec but a lot of apps just don’t know what to do because it’s not what they are used to dealing with, and they cut corners instead of creating a proper nfc data parsing system in their apps.

the password is set, pages E3 are protected by password but the user programmable pages are all open for full access read / write.

what do you want to do? what is the goal?

How could I get it back to the way it was before trying to set a password? I would like to recover those fields. Additionally, could you provide any good resources about the pages and more about NFC programming that you would recommend?

Are you trying to reset the password and pack to the original default or are you trying to format the data?

If the latter then you need to hit advanced commands and A2 a few lines of 0x00.

Trying to get back to default

Consider using the Dangerous Things support tool to write a blank NDEF record.

It doesnt appear to be supported on my phone. Are there any other ways to get the DT apps?

Do you have an Android?
What is the error?

Try this
Dangerous Things Support Tool_1.0_Apkpure.apk (63.3 KB)

Funny i just went to playstore and it says my model isnt supported either (pixel 6a).

Short term fix is use nfc shell to push the commands. I haven’t tried on nfc tools so dont know how reliable it is.

Thank you all for your help. I think my tag was scanning incorrectly and it now showing the data it had before. Happy to be a part of this community :slight_smile:

1 Like

We’re happy to have you! :grin:

3 Likes

The one time no one suggested switching it off and back on…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes