Possibilities with the Magic Ring

Hi all,

I discovered this store today and I am amazed. I love the idea of the implants but don’t think I want to jump straight into it, so I think I am going to try a ring for a while.

I live in university dorms which I assume is fairly standard lock (just with a red tag). From what I understand the T5577 could be programmed to open this with the proxmark3. However I am confused to how the other (mifare) side is programmed and what functions it could serve. From a video I watched it was programmed with an andriod phone, however I have an iPhone; would I need extra hardware to write to it? Additionally I saw that it isn’t like standard NFC where you can tap it to the back of someones phone like in the Dual tag ring, so what are some functions it can perform assuming it cant be used as a business card etc.

Thanks alot!

1 Like

I’ve just had a thought… Could my university student card be programmed onto the Mifare side? As I could access the library and other buildings with it that way…

Your doors could use NFC or might use LF. You can’t assume LF without any evidence.

If taginfo is available for iphone then you could try scanning your door card with that to see if it could be NFC.

2 Likes

That depends on what technology your student card uses, see the question about taginfo.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.

I just attempted to scan both with NFC tools, and the built in NFC on iPhone didnt recognise either device. However does recognise other NFC tags.

Its the same for taginfo too

So if neither use NFC I can assume they’d work with both the T5577 & Mifare side? Additionally please may I get some clarification on the difference / why arent there two T5577s. Thanks so much for the help!

this is going to give you problems… iphone is extremely limited with what it can detect and work with. it would be best to find a friend with an android phone and ask them to scan your card / badge with taginfo

the T5577 is a 125khz chip (click the link auto-generated when i type T5577 to learn more) and the magic mifare chip is a 13.56mhz knock-off chinese cheat of a chip that emulates a legit mifare classic 1k from NXP, but with the added ability to change the ID number… real mifare chips can’t change the ID.

Can I ask… have you seen the technology primer series of posts yet? If you can review or have already seen them, please let me know what your thoughts are.

• Did they make sense?
  • What questions do you still have?
  • Would a video format work better for you over reading text?
1 Like

Oh I completely missed those!
I will read through them now and get back to you, thanks.

Alright, thank you for providing that resource. It was very helpful, and the formatting was great. So even though the Mifare is HF it can’t transmit NFC information?

Also I don’t think I’ll be able to access an android, it seems everyone I know uses an iPhone :(.

The answer to this is simply that all passive transponders, regardless of frequency, are RFID transponders… but NFC is a narrow set of standards laid on top of RFID. That means that all NFC “chips” or transponders are really RFID transponders that simply comply to the NFC standard, but obviously not all RFID transponders comply NFC standards. The Mifare chips are 13.56MHz like all (so far) defined NFC chip “types”, but it does not comply with the NFC standard so it is not considered an “NFC chip”, if that makes sense.

However, because people love to complicate things, NXP the company that makes the Mifare chips, also makes NFC reader chips. Many of those chips are included in phones, mostly Android phones. Because NXP makes the reader chips, and the Mifare chips, they created a pseudo-standard so that Android phones with NFC reader chips from NXP can also treat Mifare chips as “NFC”, meaning you can read the contents using apps like TagInfo and also write NFC data to them using apps like TagWriter… but still the Mifare chip is not NFC compliant so they are still unreadable by iPhones and Android phones with NFC reader chips from other companies like Broadcom etc.

1 Like

Ah thank you that clears everything up, very complicated haha. If I can’t find an android what is the alternative or do I just have to gamble and hope that my uni card is HF and entrance key is LF for the mifare and T5577 respectively?

If you want to play in the RFID space at all then I would suggest picking up a proxmark3 … It is the defacto standard tool to investigate and research RFID transponders and readers. Using that tool you can easily figure out what chip is used in your uni card

Yeah that was the plan. However, as I am in the UK shipping is incredibly expensive so if I am going to order it, I would want to order the ring at the same time to avoid two 30$ hits :’(.

Understandable. Maybe head to a phone shop to try out an Android phone and get the TagInfo app set up on it? I don’t know if you can do that in the UK but here in the US the demo phones are pretty much wide open and I just attached the Wi-Fi to my own phone hotspot to load apps and things.

I’m not too sure, I’ll have to give it a shot. Thank you so much for all your help and quick responses!

1 Like

Where in the UK are you? There might be someone local who could help. Equally you might want to check @KaiCastledine ksec.co.uk as they are the UK distributor for dangerous things.

1 Like

Im in the South East. I had a look on their site but couldn’t see the rings and the promark3 ‘full kit’ was 500 pounds… I assume it isnt the same promark3 as on dangerous things.

Is there any visible branding on your uni access card or readers.
Can you post pictures of them.