Pursuing a random thought

So one of my random thoughts.

There are wireless USB devices, which apparently are referred to as WUSB. Information I can find is sketchy at best. (seriously what powers it)

Pictures I can find seem to suggest a very small device.

How off base is the idea of connection one of these to a coil tuned to a wireless cell charger, then coating it in Amal’s magic goop, and implanting it? My thought is you would present it to the charger to power it, at which point it should be discoverable by your PC? Remove it from the charger and it would lose power and go silent.

Please feel free to tear this half baked idea to shreds. I usually learn alot from the dissection of that which was once a neat idea. :crazy_face:

Are you talking about something like this?

it kinda died.

I don’t think so, but I’m gonna hafta look up what exactly that is.

Try this.

Dissasemble. Ditch the case, battery, and plug-in usb connection. Add wireless power source (QI charger?).

In theory when wireless (QI) power becomes available, then it’s usuable as a (different freq.) wireless usb (like wi-fi).

This concept makes a lot of sense, kinda like a Pegleg but not for sharing info, just storing it. plus a lot smaller, would be a super cool idea i would get behind.

1 Like

@Chimpo is working on something like that. He started with a WiFi SD card but he’s switching to a USB stick like that one. Qi charger and all. It’s a good idea. You only have to make sure get one that runs a file server. The issue with the SD cards is they only allow you to download wirelessly, you have to upload via the physical contacts.

1 Like

Ya Amal beat me to it. It looks like it would be a dongle plugged into whatever device you are using and at least in this model a station to connect other devices.

Would this be available as reading material someplace?

You know pretty much everything now. Chimpo might have more insight but that’s the gist of it

Cool. Thanks. Gonna be thinking about this for days and days now.

Any reason why?

I assumed that a second card format would lend itself for a better form factor

It’s very frustrating that we have 2 of the 3 required technologies down pat

We have memory density nailed,
Various bio coatings are easy enough,

We just can’t figure out how to interact with something a couple mm away

Pretty sure this is it.

I think all three technologies are here. Not big on needing a base station, but you do what you have to, I suppose. I’m in the home stretch of a transmission rebuild that has kept me financially tapped, but I might try my hand at prototyping something like this soon.

I missed that,

Weird, I know of people reading and writing wirelessly to wifi sd cards in 3D printers

Wi-Fi is a different standard than WUSB.

Also WUSB was in it’s infancy when it seems to have been mostly abandoned.

I don’t know of any wi-fi accessible stand alone flash storage devices, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Going to read and stew on this. Could be that there are better options than WUSB, maybe Wi-fi, maybe something else. Off the shelf, functioning hardware will be the key.

With at least the FlashAir, that’s not the case… people have used them for 3D printing.

Using WUSB?

I think it’s a great idea, but there’re some issues which has to be thought of before it’ll be possible. I make a very small wireless charging device once, it’s for a project I’m working on.

Here is a picture of the PCB:

this is the assembled board with the test wireless power transmitter rig:

Those are 4-Layer PCB with a thickness of 0.8 mm and the receiver coil is in layer 2 and 3.

The battery is a LIR1620 which has a capacity of about 8 mAh which is enough to run the module for about 8 hours. I’m using the LTC4124 for the wireless power receiver.

Even the charging current is limited to 4 mA the circuit is getting pretty warm during charging. This could probably cause issues if such system is implanted.
It’s probably better to use a different chip for the receiver because there is no battery to charge. The BQ51003 with 2.5 W from TI would be a good candidate and the board could be made pretty small.

The whole circuit could be made even smaller by using SMD components in the size range 101 to 402 on a flexible PCB with integrated power receiver antenna. However, the temperature issue is still not solved. I’m not a medical doctor nor a biology expert, but I can imagine that the heat dissipation under the skin is not optimal.

2 Likes