Question about FIDO2 capabilities of Apex Flex

Do you know what the difference between an SDK and a Keystroke reader is?

The ones I can get at a discount are the RFIDeas waveid (last 4 SKUs) but I can’t tell between the RDR-75U1AKU which is described as a keystroke vs the RDR-75U2AKU which is listed as raw-data / SDK…

Does that mean that I’ll need both a keystroke for the actual authentication and the SDK one to program and do the experiments? Ideally I’d prefer to just get the one that has the most features (i’d assume the SDK one?) but the SDK is over $50 cheaper which seems counter intuitive if it’s an SDK I’d assume it’s the complete retail / end customer unit plus development features.

I would assume a keystroke reader to emulate a USB keyboard and just dump the data from the chip. This is not what you need probably.

Unfortunately, the public documentation of the reader you linked is quite sparse. According to https://cdn.webshopapp.com/shops/25475/files/391904780/wave-id-nano-usb-c-pa-124.pdf and https://www.rfideas.com/support/tools/supported-card-types it should be able to do ISO14443A, but no idea what OS protocols it supports.

If you are set on this type of reader, I recommend emailing the manufacturer and inquiring specifically about PC/SC & CCID support for your operating system (you might want to specify the target chip as NXP SmartMX3 P71D321).

Also, I don’t know how well such a small reader couples to the implant. I guess alignment is a bit more finicky than on a full-size reader.

I got a response from the vendor:

Our CCID / FIDO readers are:
RDR-80586AKU – desktop
RDR-80086AKU – desktop
RDR-7516AKU – 13.56 MIFARE CSN/FIDO Nano
RDR-7016AKU – iCLASS ID/SE/SEOS/FIDO Nano

They’ve requested feedback on the progress of this so I’ll try to get them some info once I can learn more.

I did manage to find some more info about their fido2 compatibility here, unfortunately it looks like the only one that’s in their list of certified ones is the 7516AKU (SDK avalible) and the 80586AKU (sdk avalible “for writing apps to the reader”)

I think given that the ACS ACR125 seems to be the “starter” in the community I’ll get one of those first as that’ll let me bennefit from the known issues and contribute any solutions i find. once I get that working I’ll swap over to the RFIDEAS nano as that’ll be eassier to keep in my laptop and imbed in the monitors.