Wearing glasses for me is like wearing a formal suit at a workbench or using a glitter pen to write my own notes or eating lunch sitting on the toilet. It’s just wrong in a way that I cannot elucidate..
EDIT: I am not saying I am incapable of doing it or that I cannot acclimate. But its not something I have a desire to do so if there is an acceptable (or, I would argue, better) substitute that doesn’t make me feel that way I would highly prefer that.
Most people on this forum have, most definitely, lived by marching to their own, unique, drumbeat. And I’d bet most of us have spent ALOT of time trying to explain to people that, yes I could do it that simpler-easier-more common way, but I won’t. Over and over and over. At the least I know I have. It’s frustrating to have people constantly trying to browbeat you (me) into “normal”.
I ordered a Classic Monocle from Nearsights. I tried it for a week and just couldn’t get comfortable with it. Issues:
Without a chest pocket it swings around freely when not in use unless I put it under my shirt, where it then gets skin oils on it. I guess I could wear an undershirt?
It does fit comfortably and stays in place, but looking down or moving my head quickly makes it fall out. Also, it eventually falls out after a few minutes regardless.
My eyelids hit the lens.
I attempted mitigations, alterations, and even fabricating my own with a 3d printed frame and a brass rod bent for a gallery.
I really wanted to like it. But for me at least, it shall remain a relic.
Faute de mieux
From French that means “for lack of anything better”. What I have settled on are the ThinOptics glasses which are a modern version of the pince nez and come with a case that they fold into that can be worn on a lanyard or keychain. I think my dislike of glasses are almost entirely around the legs that sit on the ears and that they always end up bent or crooked or just never feel like they are sitting straight. Popping them onto the nose bridge lacks that feeling and I would say that doing so makes them about 70% as convenient as the monocle, while the case allows the around-the-neck but under-the-shirt storage placement.
I have attached the Openscad for the monocle frame in case anyone wants to give it a shot. For the lens, I just popped one out from a drug store pair, etched a circle with a carbide scorer and snipped with some wire snips and then wet ground them with 120 grit until they fit.