Request! Video of someone using RDC on Tesla

Hey guys! I have a request - can someone with a Tesla record a little video showing how the RFID Diagnostic Card works on the outside column of a Tesla to find the reader and get the best position?

Bonus… maybe also the HF field detector keychain?

3 Likes

2 Likes

It’s lower than I initially thought.

Do you have an HF xFD?
:xfd:
to really narrow down the location

1 Like

And bonus points

1 Like

It doesn’t show up at all on the small ones as far as I can tell.

You can hear my car unlock and lock with my Apex while doing this.

1 Like

This image from the service manual shows the antenna PCB in the middle between the controller at the bottom and the camera at the top.

3 Likes

Interestingly enough there is also a reader in the gen3 Tesla wall charger so will be curious to see if/when that gets used and what for.

wow… maybe like… paying / accounting for power when at a friends house or something… like banking power maybe in an account or something? or like… maybe security to ensure the power is only turned on when an authorized vehicle is plugged in? dunno… sounds interesting though.

maybe it will go unused like the microphone in the NEST thermostats… “reserved for future use, and available for hackers at any time”…

3 Likes

I think I saw some chatter about it being used for commercial installs or selling access to your charger at some point but Tesla is pretty agile with their software so it could really be used for anything.

1 Like

Longer video at night, did get the keychain to work at one small location holding horizontal.

4 Likes

this is excellent… once we have a working prototype apex mini (considering other names, this is the working codename) this location can be used to test with the car. my primary concern was that the car reader would not work with smaller injectable implants, but this seems to show promise!

Let me know when you need anything tested, I also spend a fair bit of time in Seattle if you want to rapid test some stuff.

2 Likes

power-slide-toy-car-little-girl

3 Likes

It blinked between 18-19 seconds