RFID implant user interview?

I am a university student studying biomedical engineering and writing my thesis on RFID/NFC implants.

Would anyone who has (or has had) an xNT or other RFID/NFC implant be willing to share some background information about their experience to assist in the writing process? I would love to hear about some of the applications that you have personally used an implant for, as well as some of the ramifications that come with the device that you have either experienced or has just crossed your mind as a user regarding the technology in general. Interested to hear about your thoughts on the societal implications of the integration of this tech as well!

Let me know if you are interested and I can post/send you some questions that I have.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m fairly new around here, got my first implant (an xNT) back in August. Planning to upgrade to a flexNT and also get an xEM in December or so. I’d be happy to talk about my experiences.

For the record, I’m a grad student at a research university as well, studying math. The department IT guy is very excited by my implant, he’s already requisitioned an ID number for my xEM to access the doors in my department!

Most of the reactions I’ve gotten have been similarly positive. In fact, I have a few students who saw me unlocking my phone that now want to get their own implants.

Anyway, count me in!

1 Like

That’s awesome, thanks so much! I am working on typing up some questions that I can post (maybe on an anonymous google doc) when they are finished.

I’m a 17 year old HS student, I’ve got the xNT implant. I did it myself with my parents approval. Personally the fact I did it myself is more important to me than it’s uses, Its like an artist being proud of their art, I’m proud of my work and doing this made me decide that I may want to go to med school. My current application for my implant is to access a password locker on my phone, change brightness profiles, and I’m ordering an arduino soon to unlock my car and possibly start it using the on-star computer instead of going through the door panel. Only negative of it was it hurt a lot going in and since I’m very thin 8th percentile in weight it is visible through my skin which is both positive and negative. The positive is I feel badass whenever someone mentions it or I get to do a presentation on it in class. The negative is that there are some religious nuts at my school that believe it is a “666” device so yeah, my goal is not getting forcefully exorcised. My families reactions have been mostly positive or neutral, my mom is excited. My dad thinks it’s sort of gimicky but sees the purpose and the rest of my family thinks I’m crazy and should go to med school. I’m also going to get more implants as the technology improves after the military if I’m accepted.

Edit: forgot to add, I’ve had my implant for 8 weeks or so now and its fun to poke so that keeps me entertained in class.

1 Like

Here are some questions that I’ve typed up. Feel free to add/subtract!

Q1: What made you decide to get an RFID tag?
A1:
Q: What are some of the things you have used the RFID tag for?
A:
Q: How do you primarily interact with the tag to add/remove data? What has that experience been like?
A:
Q: Have you had any ideas about other ways to use the tag that you are not currently using it for?
A:
Q: What are some of the reactions that people have had toward the tag (good and/or bad)?
A:
Q: Have you encountered any health-related incidents or concerns regarding the tag?
A:
Q:
A:

A1: Boredom/laziness keys are a hassle
A:Phone sound/brightness profiles, computer key, password storage
Q: How do you primarily interact with the tag to add/remove data? What has that experience been like?
A:With my phone, easy but would be confusing for anyone not tech savy
Q: Have you had any ideas about other ways to use the tag that you are not currently using it for?
A:Unlock & Start my car
Q: What are some of the reactions that people have had toward the tag (good and/or bad)?
A: Everyones been mostly positive, one person said it was the devil’s 666 device, so yeah.
Q: Have you encountered any health-related incidents or concerns regarding the tag?
A:No, pain subsided in 4 days, any scar tissue present is now gone after 8 weeks and there is no pain.
Q:
A:

1 Like

A1:I’ve been keenly fascinated and interested in emerging and developing technologies and sciences since elementary school and now at 53 yo this for me was the next logical step in my development in becoming what I’ve now embraced as being a Transhumanist
A:Experimenting with possible personal - business related applications
Q: How do you primarily interact with the tag to add/remove data? What has that experience been like? I started out beta testing within the iOS & Mac OS eco system with exciting success
A:
A: My mind has been racing with ideas ranging from boosting work related developments to medical, financial and social interfaces
A:Well since my first implant in September my then lady friend and her family and friends who happen to be immersed in contemporary christianity & eschatology were mortified when I chose this path quoting revelation and gave me an ultimatum… needless to say what the outcome was…as for my immediate family ( I was raised in a progressive household of free thinkers) they are concerned about the potential societal implications from the perspective of big brother limiting our constitutional priveledges of assembly and freedom of expression and are strongly encouraging me to govern my acceptance of this technology and from the remainder of my friends the opinion ranges from not being so quick to jump into the deep end of the pool before testing the waters to very cool but “you first and we’ll see how it works out before we go and sign up” as for casual encounters and conversation about the chip the primary reaction has been polite skepticism with a twinge and a look of “you poor crazy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: person”…that is when I give them a demonstration
None what so ever amal and dangerous things are highly respectable and professional and partner with like minded businesses to facilitate an easy adaptation of this technology

1 Like