RFID in "UNUSUAL" places :rfid:

I thought I might start a simple thread containg just as the title suggests.

Most people see RFID in common places like, Payment, Access, NFC sharing etc.

But as you will see below, there are some examples of RFID in “UNUSUAL” places :rfid:

I’m thinking more about the HF and LF tech, but if you want to share UHF, go right ahead

3 Likes

Passport RFID :passport_control:

I’m sure most people are aware that almost all countries use NFC in their passports.

This biometric symbol is usually printed on the front cover of biometric passports (), indicating that an electronic chip has been embedded in the passport and the polycarbonate leaf in the front of the passport

I had an old passport that I was going to destroy

The keen observers amongst you will note the shredder marks along the edge, I was just about to destroy this, but Idecided that It may be worth documenting this…for some reason :man_shrugging:
Anyway

Here’s the “DangerousThings X-Ray” ™

Here’s the half melty of the polycarbonate, I used Acetone, as my preferred chloroform stocks are running low ( I’ve been a busy boy :wink: ) :supervillain:

TagInfo Chip Info

Read Range
Of course the readers at Ports of Entry are normally a forced surface contact read.
However, as a quick Idea, A Phone is ~20mm Flipper ~40mm

Thats probably enough about that

6 Likes

Ultimaker

Ultimaker S5 Pro

NFC materials store the amount of material left on the spool. During printing with NFC materials, the UltiMaker S5 and UltiMaker S7 utilize the flow sensor to track material usage and write the new amount to the NFC chip. The amount of material spool is displayed on the user interface via a battery icon.

Material usage tracking
NFC materials store the amount of material left on the spool. During printing with NFC materials, the UltiMaker S5 and UltiMaker S7 utilize the flow sensor to track material usage and write the new amount to the NFC chip. The amount of material spool is displayed on the user interface via a battery icon. The charge of the battery reflects the amount of material left on a spool. The battery icon is also visible in UltiMaker Digital Factory.

The battery shows 4 full bars when the spool is new and the battery empties as the spool of filament depletes. For materials that lack an NFC chip, the battery contains a ‘?’ icon.

Note: Although material usage is tracked on the NFC chip, this information will never be used to determine end-of-filament. This data may be incorrect. For example, if the spool was also used on a printer without NFC functionality. The Pro Bundle contains various sensors to trigger end-of-filament without relying on NFC data.

When an end-of-filament situation occurs, the Pro Bundle will automatically select the next material of the same type and resume printing.

Note: When there are two materials of the same type loaded into the Material Station, the Pro Bundle will always consider the first loaded material spool as the oldest spool and therefore the first in line for printing.

Screenshot_20230825_191345_Chrome

2 Likes

Philips Sonicare 9300 DiamondClean Smart :toothbrush:

3 Likes

SONY SRS-BTS50 SPEAKER :speaker:

One-touch simplifies your life
The new NFC technology offers you the One-touch function, which will allow you to play your music in a matter of seconds. With a simple touch of your Smartphone to the SRS-BTS50 speaker you can connect, disconnect, and switch connections between NFC-enabled devices. Going from your playlist to that of your friends will be very simple with One-touch

1 Like

3 Likes

Bambu Lab also uses RFID with their 3D printers and filament, specifically for the AMS, their automatic material system. Since it allows you to use 4 materials (or 16 if you connect 4 units at the same time), the tags store the type of filament and the color, to make configuration much faster. Automatically loads the info when they’re slotted in. Thankfully, there’s no usage info, so they don’t “go bad”. The rolls split apart to refill, and you can either buy refills on their site (rolls with no spool), or you can harvest the filament from another brand. They also aren’t mandatory, you can still manually configure every slot in the AMS.

Apparently the tags are mifare classic 1k based, with detection of gen1 magic tags, so using your own is tricky. Found some photos online:

images (6)

I recently bought a Bambu Lab P1S (albeit without the AMS, didn’t have the initial funds), and they included a partial roll of their filament. Need to play around with the tags a little.

3 Likes

Got a smart fridge at work recently.

The door unlocks when you scan a payment card, you get to look at whatever you fancy, as long as it stays in the fridge. What you took outside the fridge is billed on the card when you close the door.

Each food item has such a label. It’s RFID according to the webpage : Smart fridges for grab & go fresh food

But my Flipper cannot scan it. I couldn’t find details about the labels, the protocol used,…

1 Like

Looks like a UHF tag. Makes sense, usually used for inventory tracking, wouldn’t be too hard to implement into a fridge.

Not really readable with any hacker-level tools, unless something has changed in the past little while. Wouldn’t be much fun data anyways.

1 Like

Similar to these stores in Japan

The chip had always been in the back cover of my passports but maybe the one from New Zealand is different? Also, how does citizenship work when you’re an AI?

Most of their headphones support that as well, and it’s incredibly easy to use.

I once scanned the NFC tag of a Samsung printer and it was an NTAG215 with an NDEF record. I didn’t play with it so I don’t know how good it is.

Also some LG tvs used to include an NFC sticker as an alternative to the remote.

1 Like

AMCI Museum - Melbourne - Australia

“THE LENS”

Explore, collect, discover

The Lens is a free handheld, take-home device that lets you collect the artworks and objects you discover in our exhibitions. What you collect will be curated into an online collection. Delve deeper into the stories and ideas behind your favourite parts of the museum and discover new films, TV shows, videogames and art to watch, play and experience.

What is the Lens made out of?
The Lens is made of compressed cardboard and is fully recyclable once the NFC tag is removed. You can remove the NFC tag by pressing on the perforated edges at the top of the Lens. All dyes and inks used on the Lens are plant-based.

3 Likes

TIL that RFID is also used in overpriced status symbols:

4 Likes

8b3zip

6 Likes

Reink Case C1 for iPhone.

Learned about this case for iPhones a few weeks ago. It comes with a built-in four color eink screen on the back that you can change using the companion app. Crucially, this model uses NFC in order to both power the screen (since it’s eink, it only needs power when you’re changing the image) and to upload a new image to the case. Contrast this to its spiritual ancestor, the Oaxis InkCase i7, which had a built-in battery, proprietary USB cable, a relatively low-resolution (by modern standards) monochrome screen, a Bluetooth connection… and rather unfortunate durability issues.

The InkCase i7, while made for the iPhone 7, still fits phones up to the third gen SE today. I had three or four of them before I finally upgraded to a modern flagship, but they’d always fail eventually due to an electrical problem or damage to the rubbery walls of the case. This new Reink case’s reliance on NFC strikes me as an innovative solution that (hopefully) would be less likely to spontaneously stop working. My only concern is that I’m worried it would get in the way of reading temperamental NFC tags such as, say, those built into subdermal implants. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

That’s cool, but does anyone make something like this for droid phones?

unlikely. the advantage of making this for iPhone is the limited sizes and shapes to deal with. there are over 20,000 different android devices with different shapes and sizes. granted not sll of those are even phones, but still the number of potential sizes and shapes you’d have to make is … not economical.

2 Likes

Samsung made this cover for the S8 back in the day, power and communications where done over NFC:

2 Likes

My dorm room has a Kaba InSync electronic lock. You have to insert the key into the hole. AFAIK the key is HITAG. The handle side of the key contains a HID Prox tag which is intended to be used with other access control systems for common areas, but my university does not utilize that feature.

And I made a custom sticker to put on it

11 Likes

Yes and despite their relatively small market share as a company their current model is nearly always the overall best selling phone model. i.e. In 2023 Android was the best selling platform but iPhone 14 was the best selling phone.
Logical but counterintuitive.