RFID Tags in Pets

I was looking at leveraging this, mini itx form factor so should be able to get maybe 4 in a blade :thinking: which is 28 PIs.

1 Like

Love it! Tbh have no idea how I would use it :sweat_smile: i swear almost everyone on this forum is smarter than me haha

2 Likes

Geez, subtle…Almost
Why don’t you just come out and say it @Devilclarke :sob:

Oh and some others

2 Likes

That thing just a break out board for pi compute modules (PIs with no io) so that you can plug in 1 cat cable and 1 power cable and run 7 cheaper but just as powerful PIs

I was very confused looking at that thing too because I didn’t know those compute boards existed. I was trying to figure out how the gpio pins plug in like that :confused:

1 Like

Oh lol I know that but I don’t know why I would need a pi cluster or what to do to get one running (shared processing for example)

Hahaha, you hit the nail on the head with the link :wink:

2 Likes

I want one to experiment with distributed computing infrastructure like kubernetes. As the tech scales up to like datacenters but I obviously don’t have a datacenter. Basically I want a “toy” server farm.

Same hence the temptation.

2 Likes

After a week of bird-murders one of our cats is now collared - and belled. :wink:

Tracking them indoors is kind of a curiousity thing expecially as they initially didn’t get in and are now going through a period of detente before peace settlements begin. Also, just because.

If I got the catflap I’d want to make adaptions to it anyway. I find it really annoying that they have hi-tech rfid detection system to operate the main lock but then all of the modes are set by a simple rotary (I think mechanical) device on the flap itself rather than via wifi.

We are also in a rental so don’t really want to get a cat flap unless and until we get a more permanent residence.

Simplicity is a value. You may want extended functionalities, but most buyers of that catflap obviously don’t. And since they sell… Also, a catflap where interdiction of travel can be setup over wifi means a wifi chip, OS with TCP stack and control software, and an electromechanical latch to control which way the door opens. That would not be in the same price range.